Help - chicken laid egg without a shell

• 9 Replies

jacko

Help - chicken laid egg without a shell
« on: April 07, 2010, 16:37 »
HI
I have 3 little bantams, one has laid a normal egg today and one of the others has laid an egg without a shell - not sure which of them did it but they seem ok - not showing any signs of distress. Bit worried what could have caused this they free range every day and are fed corn and scraps as and when -  and have grit and shell any ideas?
Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help - chicken laid egg without a shell
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 17:09 »
you don't mention layers pellets do they have access to these all day?
Staffies are softer than you think.

jacko

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 17:51 »
They have not had any for a while but do usually andt hey get plenty of variety being free range -  would the hen be in any discomfort and is due to a lack of calcium perhaps?
Kathy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 20:38 »
they may not be getting enough nutrients - layers should contain all that they need. My girls all free range but have access to layers at all times. The problem with laying soft shells is that they can break inside them and lead to problems  :(

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 18:15 »
my hens have just started laying and out of the 4 1 is laying soft shells.  Todays was the first where it hadn't broken and it was in the nest box for a change but half of it had a flakey  shell.  They have layers and oyster shell and free range all day.  Hopefully she wil grow out of it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 18:24 by Henlady »

jacko

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 14:37 »
Well have identified which chicken - it is Bella - my light sussex - today she was looking very listless - had to clean her up with warm soapy water - she was all cacked up round her vent - then blow dried her (which she did not seem to mind) - also feels like there might be an egg there (also had to lubricate her) and since I cleaned her up which she seemed to appreciate she perked up and has been doing the in / out the nest box routine she usually does before laying an egg but without all the squaking! Reallly hope she is going to be ok - oh and by the way went and got them some more pellets which they seem to be enjoyng - what else can you do if she is egg bound?
Kathy

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 15:01 »
Keep her warm and quiet in a large cardboard box indoors.  If there's no result you can and bathe her rear and vent area in warm water and blow dry with a warm dryer to help relax it .  You can try to lubricate the oviduct with KY Gell and gently squeeze the egg down.  If the egg breaks inside it must be removed and all the shell so it can't cause any infection.  Egg peritonitis is a dangerous condition which needs prompt vet treatment should an infection occur.

You've probably helped with the bathing already.
Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

Ribbit

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 13:45 »
does she feel like a water bottle between her legs because that's how mine felt. It's a real mystery, she has some sort of jellyfied blood in her droppings this morning but acts as if she has egg peritonitis. I too bathed her she does seem better today.
It's like America...But south!

jacko

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 17:38 »
well - she has still not laid an egg but seems ok to date - I think she is perhaps older than we first thought maybe 4 - 5yrs old - gave her another wash and massage but nothing doing on the egg front
K

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 20:56 »
If i know for certain one of mine is egg bound, i pop a calcium tablet down their throat, then sit my hens in the sink, in warm water deep enough to cover their vent for at least 40mins, then blow dry. This has never failed to work for me yet!....but before giving the calcium tablet, please be sure she really is egg bound, and not just cold/having an off day, and never give more than 1....too much calcium is very dangerous to hens....if in doubt use your vet, thats what they are there for! :D

xx
Chicken has laid a shell-less egg

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 16:18
by SusieB
xx
Help! Egg laid with no shell!

Started by FCG on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 12:57
by Aunt Sally
xx
which chicken laid which egg?

Started by freda on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 13:39
by Evansent
xx
Chicken laid something fleshy.

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 21:50
by kopperdrake

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 31 queries.