Help with my rose bush...

• 5 Replies

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
Help with my rose bush...
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:57 »
I was given a rose plant by a client at work as a little thank you. I chucked it in the garden about a month ago. Say what you will about the rubbish weather recently (and I have!) but it's been good for my rose!! Looking very healthy and happy out there, and has lots of healthy leaves. However... I want to re-pot to a nice pot I bought at the weekend. Is that ok or is there a certain type of year I should do that? Or just wait until it's more established? As my reasons are purely aesthetic, I'm happy to leave it as it is if I need to!

Never grown roses before, any other tips? Thank you  :)
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

compostqueen

Re: Help with my rose bush...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:44 »
Have you any idea of the variety?  It could help determine whether you pot it or not

Pot size minimum is about 16" I think. I'd go with generous so you can top dress it each year with fresh muck and potting compost. I'd go with John Innes No.3.  Remember that as it's going in a pot you have to feed and water it  :)

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:26 »
It's a patio rose called Garden Princess and it says it can grow up to 60cm tall. If it will be happy being repotted I'll do it this evening.

I've heard that roses are happy enough with Tomato Food for nourishing. Do you know if this is true, or do I need to buy some rose feed, just for my one little rose bush?

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 22:30 »
I think I'd be inclined to leave moving it until November time if it's growing happily - it might resent being disturbed, but someone more knowledgable may well say otherwise! Definitely pot it into John Innes No3, and I always throw a handful of blood fish and bonemeal around the base of my roses at this time of year, think it's a bit beefier than tomato feed. Hey Jude.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 00:46 »
Only a month in the ground is not long so if you have the pot now, you could dig it out and take as much surrounding soil as you feel was in the original container. Put lots of gravel in the pot bottom for drainage, which is a killer of roses otherwise, and the potting mix, BFB as suggested. I always add a handful of rose feed granules to the mix and either rabbit poo (in little pellets) or alfalfa pellets (not cubes) from horse food suppliers. These give roses a great boost of health and pests tend to bother them less.
Once potted, keep the rose watered regularly as pots tend to dry out faster.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:20 »
I'd move it as well :)
It's not been in long enough to get too settled, and the weather's not that warm yet to have encouraged much growth. My local garden centre is still selling bare root plants, so no problem :happy:

clip
Rose Bush

Started by blackberryjam on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2021, 12:12
by mumofstig
xx
Rose Bush

Started by rockyracoon on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 08:55
by rockyracoon
xx
Rose bush

Started by AmandaLouise on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 21:48
by compostqueen
xx
replanting a rose bush?

Started by potatopotato on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 17:13
by gobs

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 37 queries.