Chillies growing well!!But?

• 14 Replies

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
Chillies growing well!!But?
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:22 »
Hi all i have chillies on the windowsill growing well with about 8 true leaves on them and there in 3"pots should i be putting them in bigger pots now as im also wondering if the compost will run out of goodness for the plants any advice please :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Chillies growing well!!But?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:26 »
Usual advice is to pot on when you can see the roots through the holes in the bottom of the pot.

Also to bear in mind is the size of the full grown pepper, some stay in smallish pots all their lives and don't need a lot of feeding.

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 16:20 »
How long have they been in the pots Fletcherbaker?
I usually reckon on two weeks growing, unless they are tiny plants, before starting to introduce a feeding regime, starting with a weak feed and increasing it slowly.
Other than that, the above advice regarding looking for roots to appear at the base of the pot, is good. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 16:42 »
Chillies should be neither over-fed nor over-watered, although that doesn't mean you should neglect them completely!

When to start feeding will depend to some extent on how big a container you finally plant them in as obviously they will run out of food quicker in a small amount of compost.

I grew mine indoors in troughs on a windowsill and didn't start feeding them until they started setting fruit. Result: embarrassingly large plants (for indoors) and loads of chillies!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

courgettes4ever

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 17:17 »
I've sown my first chillies ( Razzamatazz, hot) a little while ago, they're starting to grow now; got them on my windowsill under a cloche. I  found this website very helpful: http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/ - there is a link for a "home growing guide". Also some recipes for after the harvest!!

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 17:40 »
I was told treat em mean, keep em keen.
Thanks
Kris

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 18:26 »
Hi all thanks for the replies they ve been in there 3"pots for about a month now but they look great and keep growing daily i cant see any roots at the bottom so shall i just leave them till i do also how big of pot would you use to pot them on !

dead eye dave

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 21:28 »
I've grown chillies for a few years now, with some great results: the "treat em mean, keep them keen" saying is ture, but only once they have flowered and the chillies are growing, as letting the pot dry out a good bit so that the plant becomes stressed apparently increases the amount of whatever the chemical is that causes the heat (cant remember the name now)

Chillies will often benefit from having a bit of a hand with pollenation too, especilly ones indoors, so when they do flower, get a little brush out and dab it into all the flowers, spreading the pollen.

Also, getting yourself some "chilli focus" liquid food or similar will help them no end, I swear my plants thrive on it despite being in deepest darkest scotland, so feed them on that a couple of time a month.

And best of luck, I love growing chillis (they were the only thing apart form cucumbers that when i lived in a flat, and Ive even managed to grow the hottest ones "bhut jolokia"...not that thye were that hot, but at least they grew)...enjpy it, Im obsessed, have five six types growing now and a plant that i have kept for two years now that is flowering yet again....magic!!!!

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 22:39 »
I noticed my chillis have a few roots sticking out the bottom of the pots they are in so will be replanted at the weekend..

Im just not sure when they can go into an unheated greenhouse! They are currently taking up valuable window sill space!  :dry:

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 23:01 »
I noticed my chillis have a few roots sticking out the bottom of the pots they are in so will be replanted at the weekend..

Im just not sure when they can go into an unheated greenhouse! They are currently taking up valuable window sill space!  :dry:

Ideally not until its +10 at night.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 23:21 »
[
Ideally not until its +10 at night.

thats what i thought.. and have been measuring in the last week... hasnt gone below 10 but tonight it now has  :blink: Will have to get them replanted them leave inside for another few weeks i think!

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 23:25 »
and have been measuring in the last week... hasnt gone below 10 but tonight it now has  :blink: Will have to get them replanted them leave inside for another few weeks i think!

Warmer there than it is here- Its currently +1 in the greenhouse tonight.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 07:20 »
was getting my hopes up about repotting mine and sticking them in the greenhouse... the frost last night made me wait a couple more weeks :(

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 10:27 »
Mine were still in 20cell modules until last night.

Its only when they're potted on to 3inch pots that I realise that yet again I've grown FAR FAR too many peppers again this year.  :nowink:

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 11:30 »
Hi all thanks for the replies they ve been in there 3"pots for about a month now but they look great and keep growing daily i cant see any roots at the bottom so shall i just leave them till i do also how big of pot would you use to pot them on !

Pot them on, when you think they are ready, to 5" pots from the 3" ones you are using now and they'll be fine. You could also gently knock one out of it's pot top take a proper look at the roots if you wish.

I had moved mine into my unheated greenhouse and they were doing well, but this recent temperature plunge has had me moving them back indoors again until it passes. No problem though, temps are almost there. Ten degrees in the greenhouse at night is the lower limit I use as a cut-off point too.

xx
Help on growing chillies

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 23:00
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Growing chillies

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2023, 20:38
by Snow
xx
Growing chillies - advice please!

Started by cheshirecheese on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 00:24
by viettaclark
xx
My chillies aren't growing

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 14:20
by barbarella

Page created in 1.785 seconds with 30 queries.