courgettes in containers

• 10 Replies

hoporus

courgettes in containers
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:49 »
 Hi there I am a disabled lady and grow veg mainly in pots or any containers  I havnt grown courgettes  before   Someone has given me some supermarket wire basketswhich i used for bits and bobs carrying  I now have a trug on wheels so wondered if i could utilise the basketsand line  with a compost bag with holes for drainage and grow courgettes in them :nowink:

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
Re: courgettes in containers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 08:13 »
I have tried growing courgettes in big plastic pots, they needed watering every day and a good feed now and then but otherwise they did well and produced enough courgettes! I had two kinds "costata romanesco" and "tondo chiaro di nizza" one makes a round courgette perfect for stuffing.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:16 »
It really depends how deep they are, if i was going to grow courgettes in pots I would use a deep one, although saying that they can be grown in grow bags which have hardly an depth to them, just a few inches so its definately worth a try.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:36 »
I think personally they can grow in anything, but as they are like cukes and toms, they will need a hell of a lot of water - so really, yes go ahead, just water them every day.
Babs

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:20 »
I'm growing my courgettes and aubergines in flower buckets I got free at the local Co-op, one plant per bucket. Am growing toms in a hanging basket. Am planning lots of watering but normally successful. Better than growing in growbags as you can stake more deeply if you need to.
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:42 »
Hello all, interesting question hoporus. I've been thinking about giving some yellow courgette seeds to a little girl who lives in a flat in a city but loves coming here and messing about in the mud. I grew some Soleil courgettes last year. The plants are quite compact and I thought that they might grow well in a pot on a big balcony. Lovely flowers in the morning for her and some eyecatching courgettes in the evening. Perfect plant for kids (quick, big and happening) that would certainly grow well in a big pot in my view.

Jabberwock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 12:08 »
Hi,

I've grown my courgettes in large pots for the past 4 years now and have had no problems, as others have said they are thirsty plants and do need regular watering but I tend to treat my courgettes the same as my tomatoes and sit the pots in a large washing up bowl (or anything large enough to hold water) and just top up the water in the bowl when it needs it.

1jim

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 13:58 »
I have grown courgettes in the black flower buckets that coop give away for nothing- grew fine for me, I watered them every few days but then again last summer wasnt known for being very dry. Grew a sweet pepper in this as well and had quite a few peppers from it, also tomatoes did well in these buckets

unconcerned

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 14:25 »
I made a box from old wooden decking tiles to store some manure. my mum came over and threw a seed in it. We had the courgette monster from hell...We were harvesting ridiculous amounts. Going to do it again this year though!

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 14:33 »
Hi,
I've often used containers for courgettes with great results.  They will need regular watering though.  I'd say have a go!
Penny  :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 07:25 »
My 1st year of growing stuff I had limited room and grew about 4 or 5 courgette plants in growbags. Really good crop and I fed them with tomato feed....... :)

xx
Courgettes in containers

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 17:18
by Kristen
xx
Containers

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 15:45
by little sweetpeas
xx
Containers

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 15:33
by kezlou
xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 22:11
by JoshP

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 28 queries.