Containers

• 20 Replies

ANGEL_S

Containers
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:49 »
Is it possible to use other things for containers other than ones designed for it? I have never had garden and will need to buy all tools etc so any money saving on pots containers etc would be good.

I know potatoes you can grow in growbags inside out on end, and strawberrys in those strawberry bags.

But would it be possible to use something like this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20130133

or the monster trunk at the top here
http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/big-boxes-trunks/

Just that containers I have seen on net are expensive is there anything else people use that are good?

SalJ1980

Containers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:05 »
Hi Angel,

I use the plastic trays that pre-packed meat comes in for starting off seeds, and loo roll inners too. Big yogurt pots are also useful for potting on seedlings.

I'm lucky because my OH works in a deli, and brings home empty ice cream tubs, big mayo tubs etc, which are good too.

Maybe you could try asking in your local chippy if you could have their empty oil barrels - y'know, the tall cylindrical plastic jobbies.

Also, ask on your local freecycle group - I got given 40-odd plants pots of all shapes and sizes a couple of months ago, all inside a big plastic dustbin that will be ideal for my spuds! Freecycle is a great place to find tools as well, and don't forget the car boot sales!

Good luck!  :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

philskin

Containers
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:12 »
if you have a local flower shop they have containers that they import flowers in and are perfect for spuds see below

these just need topping up with compost as your spuds grow ,and the best thing is that some florists just want to get rid of them ,other half brought home about 20 of them found in the skip behind the florist shop
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Containers
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:20 »
Anything that holds a growing medium will be usable just use your imagination.
Plastic 2 litre bottles can be cut down into pots if you leave a "flap" of plastic you could nail them to a fence post one underneath each other ( not too close) and grow vertical  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

SalJ1980

Containers
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:30 »
Forgot to say that I'm also going to be making some of THESE this year to maximise space in my small garden - they's be perfect for herbs, strawberrys, etc!

Elcie

Containers
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 13:26 »
Quote from: "SalJ1980"
Forgot to say that I'm also going to be making some of THESE this year to maximise space in my small garden - they's be perfect for herbs, strawberrys, etc!

They look good.  Might consider one or two of those for my front garden vegetable patch I am planning!  One question though, what is a rebar?

Angel, as far as growing is concerned, I don't see any reason why you can't use anything you like!  Some people on here use baths!  The biggest consideration would be drainage I think but you can drill holes in the bottom of those containers and I think they should be fine.

I saw some fold down crates in a supermarket the other day, 3 for £5 and I was considering using those.  The only prolem was they had holes in the side but I would imagine I could use black bags to line the boxes with?  Much cheaper than plant pots which can get quite expensive.

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Containers
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 13:34 »
Elcie i too was wondering what a rebar was so I wiki'd it;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar

Sal they look fantastic and what a great idea!

I reckon we should have a tipsy pot topic come the spring and post pics to show how we got on.  I'm definitely up for trying this space saving idea!!!!

Anyone else up for it???
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

SalJ1980

Containers
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 13:47 »
Yeah I'll join you on that Happy Chick, they do look really nice don't they?!

I'm not sure if they'll work with plastic pots, which is all I've got. I'm wondering if the weight of the full pots on top of each one might be a bit much for the lower pots. Hmmmmm......

One of the pics on that page appears to be of one threaded onto chunky rope and hung, that would be quite good too!  :D

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Containers
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 15:28 »
MMnn, I know what you mean about the plastic maybe not standing up to the weight of the others on top.  I think it's a case of trying the plastic and seeing how it goes ( :? ) or just investing in some terracotta pots.  I'm thinking of growing some strawberrries and flowers in them perhaps? And definitely a tipsy pot for herbs outside my back door!!  Oh and lettuces!!!

I really must remember though to not get carried away with container gardening for I know that I am a lazy waterer come the summer  :oops:  :roll:  i hate watering  :x .  OH installed drippa bags in the greenouse for me this summer just gone and they were GREAT!!!!

Elcie

Containers
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 16:10 »
You could use those water retaining pellets in the containers, that would mean less watering.

I like the idea of a tipsy pot for herbs, you could use small pots for that.  Would make lovely presents too!

Thanks for the definition of rebar too - I guess B&Q or Wickes would sell them?

SalJ1980

Containers
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 16:11 »
Now there's an idea - instead of using a rebar as the central support how about a length of metal piping with holes drilled into it (no idea what though!  :roll:  :lol: ) then you could just pour water down the top and it would go through the holes into each plant pot. That's the theory anyway, might not work in real life!  :lol:

Hmmm I think terracotta pots would be the way forward, at least for the lower tiers...

woodburner

Containers
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 18:05 »
Going back to the original question, I think the smaller IKEA ones would be fine, I have a few I bought for a wormery, before I decided they were too nice, and used them for general storage instead. I notice they now do a cheaper black one, so will buy a few for tomatoes, as well as more for wormery, next time I go there. Thanks for the idea.  :wink:  :D (I hunted high and low last year for 30cm pots and the cheapest I could find worked out about £2 each  :!: )
The crates might be ok too but will be very heavy indeed when full, as well as being more expensive for the area.

Don't forget you will need to drill holes in the bottoms.  :wink:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Containers
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 20:10 »
Quote from: "SalJ1980"
Now there's an idea - instead of using a rebar as the central support how about a length of metal piping with holes drilled into it (no idea what though!  :roll:  :lol: ) then you could just pour water down the top and it would go through the holes into each plant pot. That's the theory anyway, might not work in real life!  :lol:

Hmmm I think terracotta pots would be the way forward, at least for the lower tiers...

I think maybe we should start a new topic for the tipsy pots, Sal, Elcie?? i don't want to get into trouble for hijacking Angel's container thread  :wink:  I think there's tons of mileage left and lots left to discuss!!!

SalJ1980

Containers
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 20:16 »
Good plan - sorry for the hijack angel!  :oops:

ANGEL_S

Containers
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 20:31 »
lol Dont worry about the hijack. Those Tipsy pots do look great. Might be more adventurous next year and give them a go.

Thanks for all the other idea's for cheap or free containers. I will try going into shops and seeing about big mayo tubs etc.

Think might get the ikea container aswell as do look nice.

Elcie - What are the water retaining pellets you mentioned? Sounds like good idea.

xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2020, 15:18
by Yorkie
xx
Veg in containers

Started by digga666 on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 12:03
by digga666
xx
PSB in containers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 22:11
by JoshP
xx
Containers

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 15:45
by little sweetpeas

Page created in 0.752 seconds with 37 queries.