Coriander

• 39 Replies

Lardman

Coriander
« on: March 28, 2010, 12:19 »
Can someone please teach me the secret of how to grow it please  ::)

3 sowings so far this year and nothing ... just 2 very leggy seedings that I culled as they were never going to amount to anything.   :(

lacewing

Re: Coriander
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 12:32 »
Pity this tread didn't happen a week ago. I sowed a tray of coriander and had a to abandon some as I had far too many. I'm no expert, so all I can say is follow the basic rules, fresh seed, heat to germinate, moist compost. If you still have no luck, I will send you a few plants.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:43 »
 :ohmy: :D

I'll give it another go then - can't say Im doing anything other than you describe, I just seem to have bad coriander mojo.

Might it be worth giving the seeds a soak?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:53 »
I've had problems with coriander too but I tried "confetti" coriander and found it much easier to grow. 
Cheese makes everything better.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 13:05 »
Can someone please teach me the secret of how to grow it please  ::)

3 sowings so far this year and nothing ... just 2 very leggy seedings that I culled as they were never going to amount to anything.   :(

Wouldn't bother....it's 'orrible! :D

lacewing

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 14:20 »
Why is it orrible?  you don't know what good taste is! ::) It's delicious with a nice curry.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 19:14 by lacewing »

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 14:25 »
I think coriander likes a warm start so maybe it`s a bit early.Do you crack the seed capsules to let the seeds out before sowing.

prakash_mib

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 17:58 »
you can never do one like shop bought coriander. They are beautiful but rubbish in taste. I have grown two sets this year and a 4" pot will give you one garnish (dont be too greedy to grow big ones).

1. before you seed put them on a paper and roll a glass on it to break the seed in two halves. dont crush it. just roll so you get a pop sound of seed going to half.

2. sow the seed thinly and cover it with compost (sieved unseived i dont bother)

3. tap a bit and water from bottom.

4. leave the pot on radiator top of atleast 3 nights moving them to sunny position during day

-- latest DD addition

5. put a tin foil backing as soon as you see sprouts

6. keep the compost moist.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 18:07 »
Is that true? Nothing like as good as shop-bought coriander?? Interesting...... I'm trying to grow some this year for the first time. I've grown other herbs, and find everything I've grown at home up till now has been equally as good as anything bought from a supermarket, or occasionally more intense flavours.

Any ideas as to why it doesn't taste as good?? How/where do they grow the supermarket stuff?

prakash_mib

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 18:17 »
Is that true? Nothing like as good as shop-bought coriander?? Interesting...... I'm trying to grow some this year for the first time. I've grown other herbs, and find everything I've grown at home up till now has been equally as good as anything bought from a supermarket, or occasionally more intense flavours.

Any ideas as to why it doesn't taste as good?? How/where do they grow the supermarket stuff?

loubs... you read it wrong... i said they look beautiful and tastes rubbish.
yesterday we had a cut from 4" pot and just had one gardnish but the kitched was filled with coriander aroma.

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 18:22 »
Right.

Theres some in the greenhouse, some in the propagator, some in a plastic bag on the window cill and some on the desk here. Some has been cracked some hasn't. Failure is NOT and option.

you can never do one like shop bought coriander.

I should hope not - the tripe I had to buy from Morrison's the other week was shameful.  Tasteless and lasted 2 days before it went black and slimy, it was little more than a bit of green on top of dinner.  :( ... Oh and it cost me a pound !! a pound for garnish  >:(  :mad:  :nowink:

Might see if I can find some confetti stuff , some of the recipes I have call for coriander stems, so I guess looking like a fern wouldn't hurt.

prakash_mib

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 18:30 »
Then I think you are expecting too much out of it.
snip from bottom when it has three true leaves (thats what I do). Thats enough and you need very little to garnish when you do with home grown ones.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 18:43 »
Aha Prakash, i see what you did there! You're saying the shop bought ones look beautiful but taste rubbish!

but I like shop bought coriander  :ohmy:

prakash_mib

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 18:45 »
Aha Prakash, i see what you did there! You're saying the shop bought ones look beautiful but taste rubbish!

but I like shop bought coriander  :ohmy:
its high time that you grow some loubs.  :)
"Taste the difference"

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 18:51 »
Hee hee! I have some on the go - will look forward to a taste-off! Fresh coriander is my favourite herb anyway - very excited at the prospect of it being even more amazing.

xx
coriander

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 20:00
by Swing Swang
xx
Coriander

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 09:45
by suesowsseed
xx
Coriander

Started by tezmac on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 12:15
by HLS
xx
coriander?

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 22:45
by WG.

Page created in 0.981 seconds with 30 queries.