Some kind sole left me some seed potatos! :)

• 17 Replies

Dan78

• Experienced Member
Some kind sole left me some seed potatos! :)
« on: March 27, 2010, 20:23 »
Was at the allotment today and noticed a shoe box with 11 seed potatos pushed up against the compost heap.. I just thought it was my dad at first as he had dropped tools off earlier in the week..

On closer inspection I can see written on the folded down lid "Kestrel 2nd Early.. Plant April. Pick June / July" and it wasnt my dads writing!

So it appears someone has left some potatos for me.. Im really pleased that someone thought of me! Im hoping its because they can see how much I have done since getting the plot in December.. I was chatting to some of the older allotment members over the last few weeks and they all seemed happy i was digging by hand hehe :)

Anyway was just a nice little story to tell.. I cant believe how lovely and friendly most of the people at the allotment are :) I just hope they dont mind when they see me plant the 100 or so seed potatos i already have :tongue2:

beanqueen

Re: Some kind sole left me some seed potatos! :)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 20:24 »
Aww thats lovely! :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 20:28 »
That's very sweet of someone to be so thoughtful. You'll need to make a specially marked spot to 'honour' those potatoes and the person who gave them.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 20:30 »
That's very sweet of someone to be so thoughtful. You'll need to make a specially marked spot to 'honour' those potatoes and the person who gave them.

Thats a very good idea.. I doubt i will find out who left them! Maybe Ill mark an area off so its noticable and then get a big wood sign into the ground :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 21:08 »
You just need to tell one of the old boys that you have 'always wanted to try Kestrel', it'll probably get back to the person who left them :D

digalotty

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 21:21 »
im am pleased that they have recognised your hard work its quite a humbling thaught to recieve a gift from a "stranger" im sure it will become apparent who is responsible.
a very nice deed  :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 21:21 »
On closer inspection I can see written on the folded down lid "Kestrel 2nd Early.. Plant April. Pick June / July" and it wasnt my dads writing!

How cool, you found my box of spuds! I wondered where I'd left them ... hope like hell you haven't planted them, I want them back!

Just kidding ;)

¥

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 08:12 »
I  think i'm very lucky to have a heated greenhouse at home and a tunnel at the lottie, so I always grow plenty of stuff. When planting time comes theres plenty of swaps to do with neighbours and plenty to give away to newcomers who are late starting or those who have failures!
Part of the fun of allotmenting,  helping others out just adds to the pleasure.

Also get talking to your neighbours, offer to water their crops while they are away. They will then reciprocate and also ask you to pick their beans, courgetts, toms, strawbs, raspberries to save them going to waste. Hardly a chore!

tillymint

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 17:51 »
How lovely and thoughtful!!

We have some great helpful people on our allotment as we have only had ours for about 4 weeks and once someone left us some strawberries for our daughters to plant and today when we went and there was a box of rhubarb cuttings.  People are so friendly and stop to talk and give advice all the time.

Our next door neighbour is fantastic he is letting us store some equipment in his shed till we get our own and he has cleared a shelf in his greenhouse for us to use for our seeds in trays. 

Oh and we're digging by hand as well and our neighbour helped us out by showing us how to get rid of the coot grass (sorry dont know if that's spelt right) as we are complete novices but enthusiastic and willing to learn.  :D

DavidT

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 19:50 »
You were left seed potatoes by a FISH? :ohmy: It`s obviously a chip lover, :lol: :lol: :D

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 19:56 »
You just need to tell one of the old boys that you have 'always wanted to try Kestrel', it'll probably get back to the person who left them :D

I shall definately be mentioning that to anyone I speak to on the allotment.. Will let them all know how happy it made me :)

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 19:57 »
im am pleased that they have recognised your hard work its quite a humbling thaught to recieve a gift from a "stranger" im sure it will become apparent who is responsible.
a very nice deed  :)

I hope so!! I would very much like to say thankyou and then give them something back in return.. Some of my 150 leeks that im growing in seed trays maybe hehe :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 20:17 by Dan78 »

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 20:00 »
I  think i'm very lucky to have a heated greenhouse at home and a tunnel at the lottie, so I always grow plenty of stuff. When planting time comes theres plenty of swaps to do with neighbours and plenty to give away to newcomers who are late starting or those who have failures!
Part of the fun of allotmenting,  helping others out just adds to the pleasure.

Also get talking to your neighbours, offer to water their crops while they are away. They will then reciprocate and also ask you to pick their beans, courgetts, toms, strawbs, raspberries to save them going to waste. Hardly a chore!

I am looking forward to swapping extras that i have and giving things away to people that need it.. When i planted the rhubarb i was wondering if anyone wanted any as was a little too much for me.. I didnt really know anyone at that stage though!

I would definately be happy to pick other peoples produce to help them out if required ;) Maybe someone will be able to water my tomatos on days I cant get there! I would be more than happy to return the favour!

I definately need to start chatting to anyone and everyone at the site :)

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 20:01 »
You were left seed potatoes by a FISH? :ohmy: It`s obviously a chip lover, :lol: :lol: :D

ha ha yes.. I realised that minutes after I had posted.. Silly mistake!

Im sure you all know what i mean  :tongue2:

DavidT

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 20:08 »
Seriously, though, allotmenteers have a special camaraderie unknown to outsiders. :D

xx
What kind of Seed Sowing Compost

Started by donald.cape on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 22:49
by splodger
xx
left over seed spuds

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2010, 16:05
by DD.
xx
Left over seed potatoes

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2016, 18:27
by SusieB
xx
left over seed spuds question

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 19:47
by digalotty

Page created in 1.624 seconds with 30 queries.