jackie

Re: chickens staying out
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 15:42 »
err. what does that mean??

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 18:13 »
ventilation may be your prob mine stay out if i refit the window no matter the weather

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 21:30 »
Chx evolve behaviour which is perculiar to their little group and once it becomes ingrained it's hard to break a sort of flock culture.  I have 4 seperate runs with 8 -10 chx in each and they all have their own litlle habits which is on a group basis.  For example I had a young flock of legbar pullets last summer who decided they were going to roost in a tree each night which I actually didn't discover for some while as they were back in the run the next morning.

I kept putting them in the house but they still roosted in the tree every night until the autumn colder weather arrived and they decided they'd just roost in the house.  They knew exactly where they should have been roosting and on wet nights (they even seemed to know when it would rain at night)  they went in the house.  The tree wasn't even in their run but in the next door run.  None of the other birds did this it was just their habit.  I've posted the photo of them in the tree a couple of time on the site if you'd like to see it checkout "Should I leave water and food in the house overnight?"

HF
Truth through science.

xx
Chickens staying in coop

Started by Andee on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 22:14
by evie2
xx
The ducks are staying!

Started by violet on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 19:46
by Porffor
xx
fluffy staying in nest box

Started by caerkev on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 11:46
by caerkev
xx
Hens staying in coop

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 18:55
by orchardlady

Page created in 1.223 seconds with 28 queries.