Larger Flock of Hens

• 15 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Larger Flock of Hens
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:17 »
Hi all,

I've been given the opportunity to get involved with setting up a large flock of hens (also exbatts) at a local wildlife reserve.  I don't really know numbers yet but it's likely to be in the region of 20-30 or so birds.  At present, I have two left, so I'm not experienced in looking after a larger quantity.

Other than obviously needing more space, food, and TLC, what other considerations do you think I should make with a larger flock?

They'll be free range although there will be a high fence which I hope will keep Mr Foxy out.

We'll probably use an old shed (or get a new one) for housing them, although I'm keen on looking at alternatives - perhaps an egloo type thing - just because of red mite being such an issue.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have.  There will be numerous people in the area full time to look after them, so they won't just be running riot.

Thanks,

cc

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Larger Flock of Hens
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:36 »
if you are having that many birds you would need at least 3 eglu cubes (at over £600 each this will be very expensive albeit a nice idea), or between 7 and 10 elus. A large shed converted (cheapest method) would be great or you could buy a purpose built chicken shed to save you converting one. Some of our members have coups from the Lenham range and these are built to last years.
What sort of fencing are you having? is it electric, wooden, mesh? How high? Foxes have been known to get over 6 feet high fences. Are there any trees overhanging it that preditors can climb up? Is the fence dug down into the gound to prevent burrowing?
Sorry for so many questions but the answers you give may help people to give you the right advice  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:06 »
Thanks joyful - yes, just looking at the eglu range and probably not a good idea.  I know there is an old shed-cum-chicken coop on the site which with some work should be useable.  If not then I'll take a look at the Lenham range, thanks.

I haven't yet been on site although suspect any fencing will need to be errected, and so we'll be able to choose the type.  I think cost will ultimately decide although mesh would be better just to keep the chickens on view and also not to cause too large a blot on the landscape.

It would have to be high - could be electric although not sure if that'll just end up frying the chooks?  As for trees, there are a lot there so this may be something to consider.  I'm hoping there will be several possible locations so we can choose the best.

Sorry - I don't know much else as I've yet to meet with the wardens but am hoping to be able to answer as many questions as I can on the day rather than saying 'I'll get back to you...' which will just make me look indecisive.

On a side note - I've seen chicken courses on various websites and think that something like this may be good for the people who will be looking after them day to day (I'll be there once a week / in emergencies) - does anybody on this forum offer such a thing in the Beds/Bucks/Herts/Oxon area?  I could do a basic chicken handling course, but I only have two hens now so it would be a bit rubbish...

Thanks

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:13 »
I started off with two girls and now have 20+ in my garden, it really is no different to looking after just a couple, just more feed and cleaning. Medicines obviously cost more if you have to treat more than two. I would advise though that all those who will be looking after them do go on a course though (omelet do loads all around the country - just basic care and handling courses) - perhaps your local vets could come and show them how to hold the birds and what illnesses to look out for.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:39 »
Great thanks Joyfull - that's what I was hoping.  The cost / extra effort side of things isn't a problem.  It was more dealing with a larger 'herd' and whether there are more problems within the pecking order etc. I guess.

Will have a look at booking the eglu courses - they do look quite good.  I think they'd prefer that sort of thing too.

Thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 12:55 »
Lots of people use electric fencing for chickens Chase, so I don't think you'll have to worry about the girls getting fried.  they'll only need to get a bit near once and they won't do it again!  :D

It's a shame you can't get up here, what with Joy and her 20+ chooks, you could see her set up then come up the road a little ways and see the sheds my Brian made for me.  He converted a 10 x 8 into a lovely 16 x 8 breeding shed with 4 pens inside, which houses easily the 18 pure breeds we have in there, but would house more if we took the pens out!

Coach trip to Lincolnshire?   ::) ::)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:59 by GrannieAnnie »

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 13:00 »
are you providing refreshments Annie?  :lol: :lol:

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 13:09 »
Hehehe - that's a kind offer.  You're about 2 hours away I think (from Buckingham) so it's not too far.

If you are serious then I'd love to see your setup (and Joy's if she's really just down the road) - do let me know.  I would probably get chicken envy though.

I'm also in the process of organising chickens for schools in my area.  It's early days but the more of an idea I can get of looking after larger quantities the better.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 13:25 »
Joy and I are always serious Chase!  A lady came Saturday to learn a bit about chickens.  Stayed over an hour, then when she'd gone, Brian said well how many did she order?  When I told him 3 he thought it was time wasted, but it isn't because she's now gone away with a bit more knowledge, so her chickens will have a better life and when she wants more, hopefully she'll be back!  :) :D

So if you can learn a bit from coming up here, it isn't time wasted is it?

And yes Joy, refreshments will be available!  Any orders?????

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 13:33 »
Hehehe thanks Annie - I'll look at some suitable dates and let you know :-)

I can't promise I'll go away with any though - but I'll bring some corn on the cob for yours to fight over.

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 13:37 »
You'd needs loads of corn for Annies place as she has far more hens than me and you put together  :lol:
So best to see my girls and boys first and then off to Annies about 3 or 4 miles away  :)

Annie coffee how I like it plus any low fat cake (just in case of the healthy living lot are reading this post  ::)).

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 17:13 »
Lol - ok, forget I said anything about corn.  Perhaps I'll supply a low fat cake instead.  Does such a thing really exist?

Another thing I'm interested in is how such a large number of chickens react to things like treats.  There must always be the top few who get two helpings and the 'runt' types who get nothing?  Any tips on that?

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 18:00 »
I just let my lot fight it out - treat time is a chook and duck scrum with survival of the fittest  :ohmy: :lol: I try to throw the treats in an arc and as far as possible so that they don't all scrum together, but my lot are a bit daft and all peck and dib after one treat at a time and then chase each other  ::) It sounds a great idea to visit Joy and Ann. Both have fab setups with Joy having totally free range and Ann having lovely big runs and the occasional escapee free ranging  :tongue2:

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 20:17 »
where in bucks are you chase ??
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 20:30 »
Don't worry Chase, I'm not trying to sell you any chickens, only got eggs and tiny ones at the moment anywayz!!  :D

The only low fat cake I know of doesn't have any flour, fat or eggs in it...........   It's called a sultana!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would be lovely to see you!

I'm afraid mine don't get many treat things really.  They get their corn in the afternoon, and I throw it all around the runs for them, gives them a bit of exercise looking for it.  but as there is usually only Brian and me, there aren't many veg peelings, but when I'm growing veg, they all share the extra greens, or sometimes I buy them all a cabbage when they are cheap!

xx
4 hens plus a rooster added to flock

Started by french bob on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 16:18
by french bob
xx
Is introducing 2 hens to an exising flock better than 1?

Started by mtoyne on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 10:03
by mtoyne
xx
Bantams and larger fowl

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 11:10
by nuzuki
xx
Mixing larger breeds with Bantams

Started by Cluckleberry on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 15:53
by Foxy

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 30 queries.