Mixing larger breeds with Bantams

• 1 Replies

Cluckleberry

« on: February 15, 2008, 15:41 »
Hello there!

Thank you for your replies with my previous post (My Girlies Wont Lay).

As I mentioned in that post, I have 5 Welsummer Bantams. However, I am thinking of getting 4 or 5 other hens to go with them, but from a larger, standard breed.

This is because:
1) I like keeping chooks  :)   2) More (bigger) eggs.  :D

The henhouse should be big enough, as when the banties roost they only take up about a quarter of the perching space. There is also plenty of room in the run.

Can you give me any advice please on the do's and don'ts of introducing some more chooks to the girls?

BTW - This is a brilliant, friendly site for newbies! That really does help when one is a Chicken 'numpty'!

Many thanks!
Cluckleberry

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 15:53 »
Hi Cluckleberry,
Seems like you have caught the bug - they are so addictive and yoiu never seem to have enough! :shock:
Firstly in answer to your question, ideally if you can have the newbies in a an area where they can see each other but not be able to fight that can help.This also is a good quarantine period. Just divide the run with chicken wire if you have the space. Always introduce at night - chickens never squabble at night. If it is not practical to separate them during the day ensure a spare feeder and drinker this will help reduce bullying and try to give them as much room as possible. Finally give them a good dusting with mite powder before introducing them. You will have an amount of bickering but this is normal - just watch out and separate ASAP if any blood is drawn. Hope this helps!

xx
Bantams and larger fowl

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 11:10
by nuzuki
xx
help mixing different breeds.

Started by dill bayly on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 21:23
by dill bayly
xx
mixing breeds

Started by daisy1990 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 20:15
by joyfull
xx
Mixing breeds

Started by Robert_S on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 17:31
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 36 queries.