early sprouts?

• 11 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
early sprouts?
« on: March 23, 2010, 14:51 »
hi every one,just wondered if anyone has started there early sprouts off yet.its around about now isnt it?i'm trying a( brilliant f1) this year.last years( eavesham special) were very poor (all blown)but very good growth,i dont think they were firmed in enough(we learn dont we)hoping to get better results this year ,im trying earlys and lates.anyone started there early sprouts yet? :)

Goosegirl

Re: early sprouts?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 16:42 »
I haven't yet - mine are destined for the Crimbo plate but in recent years they have been ready too soon (as have my parsnips and swedes) so am going to sow them at the end of April.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mashauk

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 16:56 »
I've started some off in trays, about 2 weeks ago, in a cold greenhouse, 1 has germinated so far!

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 19:49 »
hi every one,just wondered if anyone has started there early sprouts off yet.its around about now isnt it?i'm trying a( brilliant f1) this year.last years( eavesham special) were very poor (all blown)but very good growth,i dont think they were firmed in enough(we learn dont we)hoping to get better results this year ,im trying earlys and lates.anyone started there early sprouts yet? :)

I planted some Evesham Special last week in a propagator and 1 has appeared so far, not good news about them being poor though. Have bought some late sprouts to try too, will keep my fingers crossed for the Evesham's

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 19:51 »
I haven't yet - mine are destined for the Crimbo plate but in recent years they have been ready too soon (as have my parsnips and swedes) so am going to sow them at the end of April.

Me too, but ive allready sown mine, have i done this too early then  :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 19:59 »
I sowed too many Evesham specials last year and so gave some to a fellow plot holder.
   Mine ended up like marbles where as my neighbours were like golf balls  ???
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 23:00 »
Started my evesham special in a seed tray 10 days ago...think I've sown too many though as it now looks like a tray full of cress!! :unsure:
they started sprouting after 5 days on the windowsill of an unheated room but unfortunately are a bit leggy now...I'm assuming I can bury them deeper when I transplant them.

TJ63

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 16:30 »
Started my Nelson F1 about a fortnight ago.  They're now outside in a mini greenhouse as they were growing too fast indoors.  Just need to watch out for frost overnight - it doesn't look like we're done with it yet.

TJ

goodegg

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 16:45 »
i planted evesham special last year they were not very good most poped open as well so planted rest of them for an early crop and i have some others for Christmas cant remeber what variety they are of hand .

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 17:37 »
i think its probably best to go for a hybrid sprout. i know you only get 30 or 40 seeds for 3 quid(eavesham special about 500 for 50p).but f1s are bred for mildew resistance amongst other things and if grown correctly they should give you a better chance of success.fingers crossed !;)

greg.t

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 20:30 »
Try some trafalger if your sprouts have not been to good in the past , l grow them ever year and always get a good crop... ;)

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:40 »
We tried Trafalgar and Bosworth this winter. Trafalgar grew really well, the Bosworths less so. Unbelievably, however, my partner decided they lacked the real sprout tang and were too sweet!

I was thinking of going back to the Montgomery and Cromwell we had the year before, which didn't grow as tall and weren't anywhere near as productive, but got the partner's vote of "this must be the best sprout in the world". Mind you, they were the first home-grown sprouts he'd ever had.

xx
Cabbages and sprouts. Planted too early?

Started by animalsvegetables on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 19:04
by animalsvegetables
xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen

Page created in 0.583 seconds with 29 queries.