Merry tiller issues

• 20 Replies

bassman

Re: Merry tiller issues
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 19:49 »
hollo every one i am new and have 2 problems with my super major can anyone help are both belts the same width as my forward drive one is very worn and sits right in the bottom of the pully second when it starts very well by the way when you go to about half throtle the pull cord or the starter dog makes a terrible noise help needed

Gwiz

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 07:05 »
I can't help with the belts off hand.
But it does sound like either your engine cowling is touching the flywheel, or the ball bearings in the starter clutch are sticking. If you remove the casing you will see that there is a mesh screen attached by two 4BA screws, remove these and the top of the clutch will be able to be "popped off" Before doing this, make sure you have a container under the clutch to collect the bearings as they fall out and roll to heavens alone only knows where.
There are about five or six bearings. (It's so long ago since I took one apart, I can't remember which!)
I think it's more likely to be a cowling problem caused be the increased vibration when the engine's on full throttle, take it off and see if you can see any shiny metal where it's rubbing. :)

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 21:18 »
Both forward and reverse belts are A section. There were three different Super Majors, the first came out about 1976 and used MT.3371 forward drive belt. Reverse was an accessory for this machine and used belt number MT.4266. From 1978 to 83 the Super Major used MT.329 forward belt, and reverse which again was an accessory  used belt number EC.0517A1. From 1983 onwards the Super Major had reverse as standard, this used a belt driven by a pulley on the end of the engine’s camshaft. Forward drive belt W25496 and reverse W27162. All these are Wolseley/Webb/Atco part numbers.

Regards, Richard
R Tallentire

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 22:37 »
I agree with DavidT, take it to a reliable repair centre.  I have struggled over the years to fix things myself but seldom with lasting success and have now decided to let the experts do it.  There is little more frustrating than a machine that is unreliable and the cost is usuallly worth it.  They have the correct tools, spares and knowledge and if it goes wrong again you can just take it back and let them sort it.
John

bassman

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 19:48 »
I can't help with the belts off hand.
But it does sound like either your engine cowling is touching the flywheel, or the ball bearings in the starter clutch are sticking. If you remove the casing you will see that there is a mesh screen attached by two 4BA screws, remove these and the top of the clutch will be able to be "popped off" Before doing this, make sure you have a container under the clutch to collect the bearings as they fall out and roll to heavens alone only knows where.
There are about five or six bearings. (It's so long ago since I took one apart, I can't remember which!)
I think it's more likely to be a cowling problem caused be the increased vibration when the engine's on full throttle, take it off and see if you can see any shiny metal where it's rubbing. :)
thanks a lot will have a go will let you no what happens or what i find sorry for the time taken to reply again thanks

bassman

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 20:52 »
thanks for the help everyone got belts and starter sorted starter dog cleaned and put it back works no problem will get some details of myself put on when i figure out how thanks again all regards dave

xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
Merry Tiller Help

Started by peterryall on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post October 18, 2006, 05:46
by Gwiz
xx
Merry Tiller

Started by D Wilson on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 18:50
by D Wilson
xx
merry tiller need help

Started by madmak on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 19:17
by jarigo

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 36 queries.