Merry tiller issues

• 20 Replies

fireyak

Merry tiller issues
« on: March 19, 2010, 19:11 »
Hi all

firstly i am very much a newb to the allotment scene but look forwards to getting growing over the next few months

i do seem to have an issue though i have managed to scrounge an old merry tiller from an old friend and managed to get things working ok (late last year)

this week i got it out and cannot get the motor to start (i have changed the spark and also put in new fuel)

if i drop a bit of fuel into the spark plug hole i can get it to fire for a few seconds i i think that it must be the carb needing a tune-up

i have had a look and it is an old Dellorto FHc 20 i have looked on the net but not had to much luck would anyone be able to assist with any advice as i do not really want start pulling things apart with out any idea what i am getting into.

many thanks in advance

DavidT

Re: Merry tiller issues
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 21:09 »
Good evening and welcome to the site. Get the machine into a garden machinery supplier/servicer and have it properly sorted. :D

Gwiz

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 18:08 »
Hello to you! I'm going to pop this over to the machine shed where all us petrol heads can answer without feeling like a bunch of anoraks...... ;)

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 18:18 »
Right now we're in rotovator anoraks heaven, any chance you can post a picture?
I expect that some petrol that may have been left in the fuel tank, has gone "off" and blocked the main jet in the carb.
This time of year, I spend quite a lot of hours pulling garden machines apart to fix this same problem. ;)

fireyak

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 00:50 »
will do i have already removed the carb but not started the stripdown. i have to warn you its very old and very very "well used" but hey it was free

what details would you like in the picture??

many thanks in advance!!!

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 07:39 »
Just general shot showing the carb. It must be a bit on the old side to have a Dellorto carb. ;)

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:41 »
With Dellorto it could perhaps be Aspera (Tecnamotor?, Tecumseh Italy)...or Suffolk/Qualcast/Atco late model A98 or early model A114 engine.??

"Dori"

fireyak

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 13:45 »
hi again...

In response to Dori, he is right it is a Tecumseh engine. 4 stroke (im sure that you would know that already though) the plate reads

aspera

Lic Tecumseh

HTB30/ABB14

i will make a second post with the carb details

many thanks
Photo0123.jpg

fireyak

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 13:49 »
please find pic of carb

so as far as i can tell this is a Dellorto FHC20 (13)

there is also a further set of numbers on the other side (561) does this help ?

many thanks
Photo0122.jpg

Gwiz

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 17:57 »
The main jet is the screw on the bottom.
If I remember correctly (and I'm not saying I do!) the setting is about 1 turn out initially and then go from there at high revs......

fireyak

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 19:15 »
Hi again,

Many thanks for the reponse... I gave this a try this afternoon but had no luck!!! :(

So now I have given things a quick stripdown and clean! all to no avail so i am a bit stuck now.

this is what i know;

i am getting compression and a good spark, when i put fuel directly into the engine it will run for a few seconds.

fuel is getting to the carberetta and the float is working but it will not fire though it did last year ( i have put new fuel in).

any suggestions would be appreciated

smud6ie

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 09:24 »
When you take off the float chamber,have you removed the main jet/emulsion tube and cleaned all the holes? there is also a drilling that supplies the jet from the float chamber that can block with dirt or by the bolt that  holds the float chamber on if it does not have a thick enough sealing washer under it .there is an adjustable slow speed jet that has a drill way that splits and one side exits where the throttle butterfly touches. this can block ...remove the screw and blow out with a good pressure but open the butterfly first also blow through the brass jet in the last photo which is the other side of the split.
If the throtle lever also operates the choke,make sure it fully closes.
Photo shows fuel supply drilling to main jet.

smud6ie
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:39 by smud6ie »

fireyak

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 18:35 »
i have looked at this and you are right this was blocked with some deposits. all cleared and the engine is now working.

thank you very much to everyone who has taken time out to assist me as without your help i am sure that i would be still scratching my head and getting no where very fast

so this weekend i will be out on the plot giving it a go i will let you know how i do

again many thanks 

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 22:25 »
A bit “anoraky” I know, but the photo of a tiller that fireyak posted is not a Merry Tiller. It looks a bit like a Templair and I have seen Templairs with the Tecumseh/Aspera engine before. The Del-Orto was used on the Qualcast B66 “Merry Tiller” and is a bit prone to blockages, the jets seem much finer than those on B & S engines of the same size.

Regards, Richard
R Tallentire

fireyak

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 00:31 »
Hi richard

That could well be the case as i know no history regarding the tiller. as you can see it is both well used and i think at times has been left standing for long periods (was a lot of rust inside the carb).

But this is all guess work. my mate bought it and couldnt be bothered with it so he passed it to me,

I do plan to spend some time getting it back to good working order and to be honest the belt drive is making me a little nervous (never used a tiller before) but the plan is to have a go at the weekend.

Any info/advice will be a great help with this project

regards

xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
merry tiller

Started by sam51 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 08:13
by R Tallentire
xx
My new Merry Tiller (OLD) help

Started by andyw on Equipment Shed

28 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 13:07
by Gerdub
xx
im looking for a merry tiller

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 23:33
by muntjac

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 36 queries.