Two lots of runner beans had by the frost

• 6 Replies

yummy

« on: May 31, 2007, 17:09 »
I have had two lots of runner beans killed by frost during the past couple of weeks.

My most recent lot went out on Tuesday afternoon. I checked the BBC forecast and it said min night temp 5c. I popped a frame type thing around them too. I've just been to the plot and they are dead. Other stuff is a bit frostbitten but not too bad.

Is it ever safe to plant out?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 17:13 »
Bad luck  :cry:

Get some more going now.  Soak them over night and chitt then in a box (icecream type) with some wet paper under them.  Get them into the ground as soon as they have hatched  :lol:

yummy

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 18:05 »
Ok. I've already potted some more seed but will give that a go too.

splodger

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 19:02 »
like auntie says - get some more on the go - you should sow at intervals anyway - so that you get a crop all though the season as a pose to a glut
 :wink:

i went down to my plot today (first time in 6 days-body hates bad weather :cry: )

my spuds and toms ,beans and celery all nipped by frost - and we didn't have one here : :shock: - but i am sure they will all recover ok.

i have everything outdoors - some protected - my hotbed babies (squash, cucumbers & melons) are all ok - but they are quite snug.

dug up a single first early spud today - got 32 new tatties - 20 good sized over egg size : :D and i'm well chuffed - also pick my first round lettuce and a bunch of radish - chicken is in oven - can't wait :D  :D  :D

back to your beans - they might recover - but leave time between sowing - of most crops - so that you have a steady supply of goodies - weather permitting :wink:

vegmonkey

Beans
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 21:26 »
I've just noticed my broad beans are starting to form very tiny pods behind the flowers! I've just planted some new runners out this evening, to give me a plentiful supply late summer :lol:
Vegmonkey and the Mrs. vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham @ www.vegmonkey.co.uk

David.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 21:47 »
The BBC & Met Office forecast -1C frost for my area Tuesday night (3am Wed), and I spent all day earthing up potatoes, covering up crops with 1m3 of straw, 50m2 of tarpualins, 10 sacks of old net curtains, sheets, table cloths, bedpreads, newspaper, etc. right up to 10pm and it didn't frost. But it would have done if I'd not covered up. Then it rained on the lot before I got there to remove them.

As I always save bean seeds, I always have spares a little way behind coming on in the cold frames. There's always some who will need them if you don't.

yummy

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 22:10 »
Quote from: "splodger"

back to your beans - they might recover - but leave time between sowing - of most crops - so that you have a steady supply of goodies - weather permitting :wink:

yeah I was planning on doing that. I have built several trenches and wigwams in preparation. I'm just pizzed that I now have to wait an extra 3 weeks before I get any at all  :(

xx
Runner beans and frost

Started by thatruddyvicar on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 12:55
by thatruddyvicar
xx
lots of frost casualties at my site !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 22, 2010, 17:06
by PAH48
xx
Lots of flowers but no beans.

Started by Judypumpkin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2020, 10:14
by al78
xx
Lots of chits and broad beans in hairy pots...

Started by Small Potatoes on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2008, 20:18
by Aidy

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 36 queries.