Lots of chits and broad beans in hairy pots...

• 5 Replies

Small Potatoes

« on: March 10, 2008, 10:32 »
Hi, got a few questions...
I've got my spuds chitting, my maincrops are rather small seed pots and are chitting nicely with about 3 shoots per spud but my earlies are very large and producing about 6+ shoots per spud. It looks like my earlies will be fully chitted later than my maincrops. I've read of people rubbing off all but 3 shoots from large seed pots but have also read not to do this. What should I do: rub em off in the hope it'll spur the remaining shoots to catch up? or not bother and plant them out at the designated time with lots of small/short shoots?
Also I've got broad beans in hairy pots, enjoying the luxury of a south facing window. These have come up and a big root is popping through the bottom of each pot and snaking about in the tray. Should I harden them off as they are or pot them up first?
Sorry about the waffleyness!
Cheers!

paintedlady

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 13:34 »
Hi SP,

Hopefully someone with more experience with potatoes can answer your questions.  IMHO I wouldn't worry about it - I don't rub off any of the sprouts although I had also heard that about only keeping 3.  It hasn't been a problem for me in the past.....

Broadbeans - repot them asap and then start hardening them off (not in this wind though!)  Wait for calmer weather and if you can into a cold frame or something that shelters the plants from draughts.  Its a bit unusual to be growing broadbeans on a windowsill though I will admit to getting them to germinate indoors and then straight outside as soon as I can (in pots), only bringing them in if the weather is going to be really dire. :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 15:07 »
my broad beans are just like that  :D   Mine are in the greenhouse and grew out the bottom of the posts so I thought there were sulking.  They'll get planted out just as soon as the wind and rain abates

I've never hardened em off before but I think you're probably right about that - lessens the shock I suppose  :D

Small Potatoes

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 17:47 »
Thanks paintedlady and compost queen,
Those beans will be repotted and relocated first thing in the 'morrow and I'll leave those spuds as they are.
Cheers!  :)

gobs

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 18:42 »
Well done, don't worry about even for a second and size of seed pot beyond a certain minimum does not matter, either. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 20:18 »
I use to to keep to three chits on tats, but on any more. So long as they are healthy go for it. I will knock off any that are not in the group, sometimes you will find the odd sprut appear at the bottom so that gets knocked off.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Broad beans: lots of flowers no bean pods.

Started by tassie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 17:34
by Goosegirl
xx
Broad beans in pots - what to do next?

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 12:45
by mumofstig
xx
Is it too late to sow broad beans in pots?

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2014, 13:39
by Goosegirl
xx
Sowing Early Peas and Broad Beans in Feb - outdoors or in pots?

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 08:05
by HuwG

Page created in 1.384 seconds with 36 queries.