Sour Crop

• 4 Replies

Quillan

Sour Crop
« on: March 10, 2010, 16:35 »
Its my first post so please excuse me if I am asking a question that has been asked before.

OK here we go. I have a chicken with Sour Crop although I didn't know that was what it was called. Basically it was sitting in its laying box and very docile also its eyes were closed. When I picked it up it threw up (brown smelly stuff) and struggled to breath so I held it head down and carefully shook it and a load more stuff came out.

I have given it some general chicken antibiotics mixed with water and syringed it in. I also gave it about 1/2 a syringe of water. Its in a (open topped) box in the house on some straw at present as its very cold outside and I thought it might help.

I have had a search round the internet and found this site (very good too I might add). I read the bit about Chicken Crop and felt her neck and almost at the bottom there is a softish lump a bout 2/3 the size of a golf ball.

I feed my chickens organic pellet food which says it has vitamins and grit in it. During the day they have 2 acres of garden t run round in and we have sandy soil. I have mixed some pellets with yogurt (plain natural) but I can't get it in to her i.e. she wont eat it. I don't know if I should force it in to her and if so how, so some help there please.

I should add that we live in France and I don't know where to go here to get Cider Vinegar, the only type I have seen is in the supermarkets. Seeing as this site tells you not to use it is there anything else I can substitute it with.

Shes an old chicken, lays the occasional egg but she's more of a pet now.

Rubellite

Re: Sour Crop
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 17:03 »
It's not something I've experienced but maybe someone else will be along soon to give you some advice.
(It's very quiet on here at the moment).

Welcome by the way  :)

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 18:31 »
Hi Quillan, welcome to the forum.
I'm a beginner myself with chooks, so can't offer any advice, but I tried a search of the forum for 'sour crop' and it came up with lots of info so you may find help there. Click on 'forum home' and then use 'search' box for sour crop.
Best of luck with your chook  :)

Quillan

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 18:50 »
All the info I have is from this website I just have three problems, what percentages do you mix the yogurt and pellets, how do you get the chicken to eat it if it does not seem to want to. What can you replace cider vinegar with if you can't get it other than in a supermarket? Basically I am asking advice on what this website has said to do. ;)

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 20:34 »
terrier - what type of puppies are they in your profile pic? - they look like english toys- are they? whatever they are the are gorgeous :D

xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Sour crop/Slow crop?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 11:02
by pink-chicken
xx
Sour Crop

Started by Sooz on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 23:22
by compostqueen
xx
sour crop?????

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 08:53
by joyfull

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 28 queries.