When are your first spuds going in?

• 111 Replies

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: When are your first spuds going in?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 18:24 »
mine are all going in on good friday weather permitting 8)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 19:49 »
I am hoping Paddy and Billy get delayed this year. I will say tho, once the sun is up its hot, down to Tshirts both yesterday and today, even the chooks spent the day sun bathing  ::)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DavidT

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 19:55 »
I intend planting maincrops  ( Rooster and Pink Fir Apple) tomorrow. Earlies and second earlies can wait another 4 weeks. :D

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 20:26 »
i was aiming at planting mine next weekend but think its still too cold for them!
Bit worried about my earlies though.. they have lovely thick purple and green chits but the potatos themselves are now all wrinkly and going quite soft! 

They will have been chitting 6 weeks by next weekend.. am i ok just to leave them as they are till it warms up a little ?

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 22:24 »
I'm going for the weekend after paddys day. Frost hasn't been too bad here, maybe -1 or -2 at night and near t shirt weather during the day. I'm worried that delaying any longer will risk blight even for the earlies.
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 23:01 »
Easter probably - because I still haven't dug where they're going to be!  I've got my broad bean patch to finish first and I'm still on the brassica bit.  Slow going!
Still, they're chitting nicely and quite comfy thank you so I don't htink they'll mind.
 :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

AlotArds

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 23:02 »
I am planning on paddy's day, spuds are all nicely chitted, beds are ready, just need this night frost to stop, days here are lurverly at the moment.

nord iron 9c today

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 23:14 »
Warming up here too - first two (three?) nights in a row without frost for quite a while.
Cold wind though from the NE.
Looking like waiting longer than last year at this rate (firsts went in 21st March yr)
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

Salmo

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 23:30 »
10th March last year I planted early potatoes.

The soil temperature was 8 degrees at 4 inches deep.

Today it is just 5 degrees so I cannot see much planting until the end of the month.

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 08:37 »
All my First Earlies are planted, 8th March. I always aim to plant them on or about my birthday (7th March) and try to dig a few for my wife's birthday (21st May). I grow a double 25' row under a wide Geoff Hamilton style cloche. When the weather improves I bunch up the cloche down its centre line and drop it back on cold nights. The ground is dug in the Winter and sheeted over from January until planting time, it was in amazing condition when I uncovered it this year. In other years they have been snowed on after planting but have never failed or been damaged significantly. Not bad for 600' up I reckon. This year they are 25 Red Duke of York, 15 Rocket and 10 Vale's Emerald. The Second Earlies and Maincrop go in about 10th April without protection.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 11:53 »
I haven't even dug my trenches yet,  the weather here has been too cold/ground too hard  :( hope I'm not going to be too late to plant... they are chitting in the conservatory but only since last weekend  - any advice greatly appreciated  :unsure:

mrswaff

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 12:22 »
when should i expect my first growth greenhouse  spuddies if they go in now?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 12:22 »
I haven't even dug my trenches yet,  the weather here has been too cold/ground too hard  :( hope I'm not going to be too late to plant... they are chitting in the conservatory but only since last weekend  - any advice greatly appreciated  :unsure:

My advice would be to not get too worried about it! If they go in a bit later than you originally planned, it's not the end of the world! It just means they will be ready a little later (and will probably avoid damage from that late frost that is bound to catch us all out!).

Relax, chill, open a bottle of wine...  :tongue2:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 12:29 »
Relax, chill, open a bottle of wine... 

so soon?  :lol:

My spuds went in on the 17th March (St Pat's day) last year but don't think they will be doing the same this year :(...........the soil is so cold it's just not worth it IMO
Peas sown outside about the same time as well last year, so they'll be later as well:ohmy:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 12:48 »
It's never too early for wine!  :)

Spring is later this year than last year so stuff will go in the ground later. It all gets done in the end. I put my spuds in when it feels right to do it and sometimes that is right, sometimes it isn't, C'est la vie! 

I'm in a good mood today, can you tell?  :)

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
spuds

Started by simonmoe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 20:51
by DD.
xx
How many spuds..

Started by Firstyear on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2019, 09:09
by Firstyear

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 29 queries.