My chickens don't roost

• 17 Replies

hillfooter

Re: My chickens don't roost
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 01:11 »
i love your girls in the tree hillfooter! they are so amusing but i dont know why exactly :D

Actually this photo was taken in the late summer.  Their house was incidentally a Forsham Lenham and was within an electric net and I didn't lock them in at night as they roosted so late in the evening.  I did wonder how they kept their house so clean.  Thought they must have been doing some secret housework but one evening I was there at dusk and heard the fluttering of wings. I went to investigate and found them huddled together in a nearby tree.  After that I had to collect them from the tree and put them in the house each night.  I did notice though they were smart enough to know when it was likely to rain as they roosted in the house on those nights.   Eventually after several weeks of being put in the house and as the weater got colder they abandoned the tree roosting.  So obviously they do learn to roost in the house, or could it have been that new LCD TV I installed??

All my houses are Lenhams which along with all (?) Forsham houses have nestbox shutters to use at night.  I initially shut the boxes but now don't bother as they have learnt to use their roost bars and don't roost in the nestboxes.
HF
Truth through science.

hendreary

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 17:59 »
Thank you so much Guys, for your reply's I am a lot less concerned now.  I will leave them alone and let them do just as they please. I am though looking forward to an egg. Is that too much to ask?
Geoff Davis. :)

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 19:20 »
If you ask Joyful she'll look in her spellbook and magic a few up for you!

HF

xx
Getting chickens to roost on bar

Started by purpletart on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 17:32
by janeheritage
xx
getting chickens to use the roost...

Started by timtheenchanteruk on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 19:09
by daisy1990
xx
roost in tree?

Started by rebecca.smiles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 21:45
by rebecca.smiles
xx
How can I get my new chicken to roost with the others?

Started by Greenfieldchooks on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 22:17
by Greenfieldchooks

Page created in 0.589 seconds with 28 queries.