getting chickens to use the roost...

• 14 Replies

timtheenchanteruk

getting chickens to use the roost...
« on: July 06, 2011, 17:56 »
what it says really, I have a roost in their house, but they just do not want to use it, they could jump up to it if they wanted, or there is a ramp.
Instead they insist on using the nest box to all huddle into (theres only 3)
Ive tried going in later on and putting one or 2 onto it, they seem to stay there that night, but resume the box the next night.

Im not too concerned at the moment, but I do leave the house door open at night (they have a secure run) and when it gets colder the nest box may suffer a slight draught, the roost purpously made so its well out of the draught.

is the roost too dark? do I need a window to let light in to the top part of the house?

bantam novice

Re: getting chickens to use the roost...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 21:17 »
I am not an expert - just wanted to wish you luck :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 22:01 »
You certainly do not need a window for light otherwise they will be pushing to be let out as soon as it's dawn and in the summer months that is really really early!

You are on the right track by putting them up onto the roosting bars...keep it up. Also block off the nesting box in the late afternoon, after all egg laying activity is finished for the day, with something like an old cardboard shoe box or crisp box.

They will get the hang of it eventually.

Orchardlady. :)

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 22:13 »
our three older hens did this for about six months (we weren't bothered so left them to it) they then decided to roost at night and positioned themselves where they wanted to be.  I think there is a view that roosting bars may be too wide for smaller hens and as they grow they become more able to grip on, which may explain why younger hens may be reluctant!  Our three new chicks all sit on the floor in the coop and dont roost at night (but roost during the day on anything they can find (roof of rabbit run, top of feeders!) If they are in a draught they will move out of it and there is plenty of time for them to roost before winter so I would leave them to choose!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:19 »
I agree with orchardlady just block the nesting box off at night. They'll soon come around.
Whenever we restock with new birds or introducing to a new coop we always do this.

You may find some birds wont roost anyway, we have had one or two who for whatever reason  would rather sleep on the floor of the coop under the others :wacko: Though this can of course get a little mucky for them at times :ohmy: :nowink: Each hen will have their own little personalitys and preferences. ::)

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:27 »
There are several things you can do.

firstly, you can block off the nest box on an evening, so they can't get into it.

secondly you can life them onto the roosting bars after dark.  Some barn reared birds just don't know how to roost, and need to be taught.  It takes a little perseverence, but if you persist, then they will eventually learn how to roost.

Ensure that the roosting bar is comfortable (a 1x2 with the edges rounded off is ideal; circular roosts are not so good as it takes more effort to keep on them).

Good luck :)

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:42 »
I may be being silly here, but does it matter?

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 12:16 »
Well, if the chickens sleep in the nest boxes it increases the chances of fouled eggs, especially if they lay before you can clean the nesting material on a morning.

Also, sleeping on the floor, can lead to respiratory and/or eye infections as the are sleeping so clsoe to the bedding/droppings.

:)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 12:32 »
continually sleeping in their pooh can also lead to their urates burning their skin  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 15:58 »
Ah thankyou. So mine are 12 weeks old and cuddle up in a nest box but in time I need to encourage them to roost?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 16:00 »
I would start now  :)

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 15:37 »
thanks for all the advice, will try covering the nest box and lifting them onto the roost.

I have been trying to keep the nest box clean, but with 2 hens sleeping in it, its not always possible to clean it before egg laying (so had a few mucky eggs!!)

daisy1990

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 16:01 »
if you have mucky eggs dont wet them in an attempt to clean them (they are porous and this can allow bacteria in to the egg).  Wipe them clean with a dry kitchen towel

JACDORE

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 17:15 »
Ive 5 ex battery hens that all huddle up ontop of each other in the nest box part leaving the original bird we had on her own on the perch.  They dont lay their eggs in that part, just the bottom of the house so thats ok, no dirty eggs, yet they sleep on their poop.  Shall I do the same and perserve on putting them on the perches at night.
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

daisy1990

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 19:09 »
you might start a fight if you do, the hens when put together will have sorted out the pecking order and moving them together may alter the balance they have found.  Others may disagree but I have left my girls to sort themselves out and the three older hens all perch but the younger hens still sit on the floor of the coop

xx
Getting chickens to roost on bar

Started by purpletart on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 17:32
by janeheritage
xx
My chickens don't roost

Started by hendreary on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 19:20
by hillfooter
xx
How can I get my new chicken to roost with the others?

Started by Greenfieldchooks on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 22:17
by Greenfieldchooks
xx
Emu canĀ“t roost

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 17:30
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 38 queries.