Sick Chook

• 9 Replies

blinediddy

Sick Chook
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:55 »
Where do I begin...
A couple of weeks ago 1 of my 5  seven month old chooks got pecked in the eye. I took her (lennon) to the vet who gave her eye drops and brought her inside as she was being bullied.
Over the weekend her eye swelled. I gave it a wipe and removed a large lump of clear jelly like substance. It looked like what my friend used to get when he suffered from really bad hayfever.
I noticed her poop was small, purely water (no solid) and yellow but still contained the white bit.
She stopped eating but was drinking. I took her back to the vet who said it was a severe mycopalsma infection and had to be put to sleep.
Today (a week after lennon was put to sleep) ive noticed 1 of my other chooks (spiderchick) hunched up, not eating, and had the same poop this morning. She hasn't pooped since.
 Ive seperated her but not sure what to do. I dont think its mycroplasma, but i haven't  a clue what it could be. The other 3 chooks are all fine, but so too was spiderchick yesterday.
Please please help as it broke my heart loosing Lennon and couldn't bare to loose another.

too many girls

Re: Sick Chook
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 13:29 »
if it was mycoplasma with Lennon it is very infectious, i'm suprised your vet didn't advise antibiotics for all of your chooks, i would get back to the vets and ask for anti's as soon as poss, hope it's all ok for you.

this might help
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=47218.msg554708#msg554708
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 13:31 by TMG »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 13:48 »
Mycoplasma is an upper respiratory tract infection and, as TMG says, it is very infectious - all your birds need treating. 

Chickens whith this may cough and sneeze and have bubbly eye and nasal discharges.  They may seem unwell and off their feed.

blinediddy

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 13:51 »
THANKS TMG,
I will be going to vets monday morning (when they open) but she doesnt have foamy eyes so im not convinced its mycoplasma.
All she wants to do is sleep and drink. She wont even eat her favourite food (mealworms).
Shes in quarentine at the moment, Im not sure what else i can do.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 13:56 »
THANKS TMG,
I will be going to vets monday morning (when they open) but she doesnt have foamy eyes so im not convinced its mycoplasma.
All she wants to do is sleep and drink. She wont even eat her favourite food (mealworms).
Shes in quarentine at the moment, Im not sure what else i can do.

Hi, if its just over a week since you lost your last one, and this one has the same symptoms, i would say its definitely contagious.What ever it is, it could kill your flock! Ring the vets today to see if they can give you enough antibiotics for the whole flock, most vets are open on Saturdays thankfully

blinediddy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 17:10 »
Hi all,
just got back from vets.
3 out of the 4 chooks are on baytrill. Vet says he's not sure what it is, doesn't look like mycoplasma but not sure. Marley is fine, no symptoms, "Sir" Digby and Elton have a slight rattle in their chest and Spiderchick (whilst sounding fine) is infected.
If Baytrill doesnt work then Spiderchick will be put to sleep.
Hope it does the trick.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 17:54 »
Well done for going back and getting treatment for them. Can i ask why only 3 are on baytrill, i would have them all on it as they have all been exposed :(

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 20:56 »
Best of luck. Please keep us updated.

blinediddy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:10 »
What a difference a day makes...
I couldnt sleep last night, convinced that Spiderchick wouldnt make it through the night.
Went into the kitchen this morning, shes up and about, eating and drinking and looking in great health.
She pooped this morning and it was a little more solid (its got better as the days gone on), and on closer inspection i think Ive uncovered a problem.
In with the poop was something that looked like a bean sprout... WORMS.
I wormed them a couple of weeks ago, but only put it in with their pellets. I think they may have pecked around the wormer. This morning I crushed them up and mixed them in with some mashed potato and scrambled egg. I dont think this is entirely the problem, but I think its certainly contributed.
I have 4 chooks and 3 different quarentine areas. Marley is on her own (in perfect health). Elton and "Sir" Digby are together (with a slight rattle-I cant hear it) and Spiderchick is in the house (and eating my cabbage seedlings).
I cant stress enogh the inportance of quarentine and as a newby to keeping chooks would like to thank everyone for their support and advice.
Its not over yet, but they're all alot happier now, (me included).

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 11:44 »
So pleased that Spiderchick is on the road to recovery hope that the others get better
soon.

xx
sick chook

Started by buggie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 18:22
by buggie
xx
sick chook

Started by JOP on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 10:09
by joyfull
xx
Sick Chook - Help Please

Started by NeilP on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 21:58
by mumsy
xx
Sick Chook

Started by JOP on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 20:47
by JOP

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 37 queries.