sick chook

• 6 Replies

JMF

sick chook
« on: May 31, 2013, 20:21 »
We have a pure Sussex which is looking unwell stopped laying but is not broody does not seem to want to mix with others seems to be eating and drinking ok we have checked her for mite, lice, and her vent is clean but she is just not right - comb pale  Wants to go up to roost early and also if out free ranging walks a little then sits down for some time, not sneezing or coughing looks like she is giving up.  Any ideas please.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 15:37 by mumofstig »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Unwell Hen
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 20:36 »
How old is your hen?

Best to separate her from the others so you can see that she is eating, drinking and what her poo is like.  Check if her crop is full on a night and not squishy and check her breath in case she has sour crop.  Check her crop has emptied in the morning in case it is impacted crop.  Fell for any lumps or bumps that should not be there as she could be egg bound or have a growth.  Check that her eyes and nostrils are clear and not runny.

Check the coop for red mite as they feed on a night and can kill a bird (they do not live on the birds but in crevices in the coop).

If you think she is suffering and you can't find out what the cause is it is always best to consult a vet. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

JMF

Sick Chook
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 12:39 »
Hi recently posted about our Chook who is just not herself - and thank you for the reply have tried your suggestions but nothing and vet not open until Monday - she is eating but just wants to sit down all the time not egg bound but her poop is just white and watery - has been wormed not sure now what it is.  Any further advice would be appreciated.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sick chook
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 15:37 »
I've merged your posts to keep all the info together  ;)

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 18:57 »
You don't say how old your hen is.  What did you worm your hens with?

The white watery poo may indicate kidney problems but it will be best for her to be taken to the vets. 

JMF

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 17:47 »
She is nearly three a pure breed Sussex and was wormed with Flubenvet I am beginning to think it is also Kidney Problems can anything be done and what would a Vet give her JMF

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 18:01 »
You would be better ringing a poultry friendly vet to discuss a course of action with them. 

There is a list of poultry friendly vets on HERE  and a vet search facility HERE 

xx
sick chook

Started by buggie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 18:22
by buggie
xx
Sick Chook - Help Please

Started by NeilP on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 21:58
by mumsy
xx
sick chook

Started by JOP on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 10:09
by joyfull
xx
Help Sick Chook

Started by Lakisha354 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 18:55
by Foxy

Page created in 0.712 seconds with 37 queries.