What crops make way for others?

• 8 Replies

JohnB47

What crops make way for others?
« on: March 03, 2010, 21:12 »
Hi.

This is my first full year with an allotment and I realise that more experienced growers will have a automatic feel for what crops make way for others as the year progresses.

For example, my over wintering garlic and onions will begin to be pullable around early June (I think - first time for me). So then I know I can start using that ground for, say, spring onions and beetroot that I plan to grow in succession throughout the year. But that's an easy one - spring onions and beetroot can be grown over a long span of time.

So my question is, if crop A finishes in time for crop B to be planted (perhaps transplanted from seed started earlier), what would your ideas be for plants in categories A and B?

Yes, I know I could read loads about this but I sense that some of you just know this.

So, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Trikidiki

Re: What crops make way for others?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 21:38 »
Broad Beans, Spring Cabbage, Early Potatoes, Early sowings of beetroot or green salads, overwintered onions.

Could all make way for:

Leeks, sweetcorn, swede, winter cabbage, late sowings of beetroot and green salads.

Maybe even cauli's and sprouts depending on how early you can get the preceding crop off. A late sowing of a carrot which can stay in the ground over winter.

You can intercrop something that takes a long time to mature with something quick growing. e.g. lettuce sown between sweetcorn.

Garlic is best planted in Oct/Nov so can go in after most things.

If you're into crop rotation then that may have an influence over what follows what. My view is on a small scale things are so close together that rotation to prevent disease/pests is a waste of time, but that's another story.

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:03 »
Overwintered broad beans to squashes or sweetcorn is a good idea, Spuds to brassicas, if only to keep the lime away from the potatoes in the rotation....

There are ways if space is tight to get six proper crops out of a piece of land in three years, from memory it would be something like early potatoes to squash to overwintering broad-beans to brussels/winter cabbage to early peas started in a GH in guttering to leeks. The leeks would finish coming out  out at the start of the fourth year but that's six "proper" crops (ie not salads !), suggest then a root vegetable, if celeriac then you might be able to get a fast crop of broadies or peas or salads through before they went in.

To go from early spuds to squash selectively harvest spuds to leave gaps about 4 feet apart for the squashes, then harvest the rest of the spuds out of the way of the growing squashes.

chrisc

Pompey Spud

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:53 »
I'm hoping to squeeze some brassics in where the earlie spuds were as the ground has been previously manured last October.

Just remember to really firm the soil after all the cultivation.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:18 »
I am working out the intercropping, crop following this year as well. From the other members suggestions I've got the following ideas
winter onions -> dwarf beans, peas
earlies -> sweet corn
you might need to seed and pot them ready and waiting for a place.
like players warming up the touchline without knowing when they are about to be substituted
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

noshed

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:21 »
You definately need a few things on the bench - some brassicas don't mind being moved twice. Some others get moved whether they like it or not. The art of management.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:28 »
Thanks folks.

All good feedback.

Squash is one thing I want to grow this year, so your comment, chrisscross 1966, is very interesting  ("To go from early spuds to squash selectively harvest spuds to leave gaps about 4 feet apart for the squashes, then harvest the rest of the spuds out of the way of the growing squashes.)" I think I'll do that.

Also, going from earlies to leeks is very possible too.

Cheers all.

stompy

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 11:41 »
I don't tend to put things in after a crop has finished.
I either cover the ground or sow a green manure.
I know it's a bit of a waste of land but i think to rest it helps with it's health for the next year.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 12:26 »
I don't tend to put things in after a crop has finished.
I either cover the ground or sow a green manure.
I know it's a bit of a waste of land but i think to rest it helps with it's health for the next year.  :)

great idea if you have the space unfortunately not an option for many :(

xx
Pulling new potatoes to make way for some more crops

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 11, 2006, 09:39
by John
xx
What do my Crops Indicate

Started by trunk monkey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 11:05
by trunk monkey
xx
what crops can i sow now?

Started by deedee71 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2007, 14:45
by Aidy
xx
First ever crops

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 08:11
by New shoot

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 38 queries.