roofing and ventilation

• 12 Replies

emu

roofing and ventilation
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:09 »
Hello
Newbie here - been reading the forum with great interest and gaining some top tips! -
I'm in the process of converting an 8x6 shed for my soon-to-be-bought chooks. I have two questions regarding the roof/ventilation:
1. When fitting onduline, do you leave the plywood roof on or fix it directly to the roofing bars?
2. I am planning to replace the perspex window with mesh and a wooden shutter as well as cutting a circular 4" vent above the door. Do you leave the eaves open too or should you use "eaves fillers" or similar to prevent draughts?

Hope you can help! Chris

goodegg

Re: roofing and ventilation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 13:08 »
i would leave the ply on tthe roof onduline needs a lot of support otherwise it sags if you put 4in hole above door i would put simler at other gable as well so you got through flow of air. and welcome to the mad house.good luck with chucks.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 16:00 »
I read somewhere that you can leave the eaves open using screwed up chicken wire ... stops rats etc getting in, but allows the ventilation ...
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 16:54 »
You can put the onduline on top of the ply, but then I feel its a good harbour for red mite.  When Brian built my 16 x 8ft shed for the pure breeds, he just did an onduline roof.  It actually took 1 and a bit sheets for each length as the house is 8ft wide, and its got joists every 16 inches across for strength.  Didn't even budge under the weight of all that snow we had.  you can put chicken wire up in teh eaves, but Brian just tacked weld mesh right across the top of the walls and bent it up and over the onduline covering the lot.

No rodent has ever been in there!

I don't know why you want a 4" circular hole above the door, longer and narrower would be better, or as Muntjac told me once, drill half inch holes along the top of the door walls or watever, no larger or the mice can get in.  But if you do want bigger vents, make sure to put weldmesh over them again to stop rats and mice getting in.

Hope this helps, but if you want anymore clarification, just let us know.
DSCF0005 (2).JPG

emu

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 19:32 »
Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated and now clearer on what I'm going to do. I think the best (anti-mite) option will be to remove the ply and add additional supporting joists which should be quite straightforward. I've got 1/2" weldmesh to cover the window and vents (both ends) also. Will post piccies once I get going.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 19:50 »
Onduline does drip black tarry spots when condensation forms on  it as a friend found out after garaging his shiny new jag.

I think i agree with getting rid of the ply though, less places for red mite to hide.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 20:47 »
I have done pretty much the same as Grannie annie. I have covered the roo in mesh before putting the coroline on. That way vermin cant get in and there is plenty of ventilation. I have had no problems at all. All the girls are warm enough in the winter and they were cool enough in the summer. As regards black drips, well i poo pick every day and i have never found any.
excuse the massive pic ???...hope it is helpful :)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 21:21 by dizzylizzie »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 21:35 »
Onduline does drip black tarry spots when condensation forms on  it as a friend found out after garaging his shiny new jag.

I think i agree with getting rid of the ply though, less places for red mite to hide.

Our onduline drips a little with condensation, but its water, not black tarry spots!

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 23:26 »

Our onduline drips a little with condensation, but its water, not black tarry spots!

Thinking about it it could be because chooks and jags have different exhaust emissions.  :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 05:31 »
lol :D :D

Rubellite

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 09:49 »

Thinking about it it could be because chooks and jags have different exhaust emissions.  :)

I reckon you're probably right  :lol: :lol:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 16:39 »
I'd remove the ply to avoid housing red mite etc.  If necessary you can always add a roof timber, we put one across the midde. I cut weldmesh and fitted it to the contours to keep rats out and allow ventilation.

Don't think you need to start drilling holes for extra ventilation?  Keep things as simple and stream line as possible.

Never had a problem with tarry drips, but like Lizzie, poo pick every day so might not have noticed.

emu

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 17:27 »
dizzylizzie - that method looks dead simple - why didn't I think of that!?

I too have problems with drips on my Aston Martin but my Butler generally deals with that.

(Not)

xx
Run roofing

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 15:09
by Jeanette
xx
roofing a run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 14:14
by upert
xx
ventilation

Started by sprinter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 09:20
by Selkie
xx
is this enough ventilation

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 23:34
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 28 queries.