roofing a run

• 7 Replies

karlooben

roofing a run
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:23 »
although my run is pretty large 10 m by 6 m , i would love to roof half of it or maybe the whole of it as i am getting very annoyed with my girls getting soaked at the mo. i've just been an checked on them an the small house which they are in at the mo was totally soaked { having to seprate the 2 houses as new girls are coming in today normally one house would stay fully closed of  } i was wandering if i could get away with tarpulin if it was put up at a slight angle so the rain washed right of but i would also like to do it so that it could be taken down for the better weather { if we ever get any now .lol } .

what do u reckon  :?:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Vember

roofing a run
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:33 »
Tarps are ok so long as it doesn't get too windy  :lol: Temporarily though it would work :)
Would it be possible to put an extra piece of wood screwed to one top side of the run & then screw corrugated plastic on?? so it's on a slope?
I did it on the rabbit run years ago, but obviously easier as not as high  :D
If you screw it on it is easier (electric screw driver permitting) to get in on and off as required :?

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

roofing a run
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:51 »
I've just done most of ours with corrugated plastic. If you make a bit of a framework, you could stretch the tarp over it and use the eyeholes to tie it down. It should survive ok.

The secret is in gettign it as tight as poss and securing it well.

rob 8)

Bodger

roofing a run
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:04 »
Ideally, I'd go for the corrugated plastic but its cost can be  inhibitive on all but the smallest of runs.
Tarpaulin will work but it needs a good frame to be attached to and washers beneath the nail heads so that they aren't pulled through when there are strong winds.

Heavy duty clear polythene will also last for a suprisingly long time, again with a good frame.

karlooben

roofing a run
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 11:11 »
tarpulin is cheaper as well. think i am going to work something out for next weekend cant do it now its raining to hard ,lol.

raeburg

roofing a run
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 12:48 »
If you can, go for the corrugated plastic, the best price I found it for was Wickes and I got got timber cut into firrings (so that it slopes) from a local timber yard.  It has improved the girls life no end.  I cover three quarter of it.  My mum has guttering attached to her roof and collects the rainwater in a low tub for the hens to drink!  

Have a look in my facebook album and you can see what I've done :)

karlooben

roofing a run
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 17:25 »
thanks for the pics raeburg , i will look at building things over the next few weeks i would perfer plastic roofing but maybe i dont have to do it as high as the run { thats just of 7 foot } so maybe i could do it my height .

upert

• Experienced Member
roofing a run
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 14:14 »
i put a pitched roof of scaffold netting over my run which keeps a bit off but then put a smaller area of plastic corrugate where the birds retire  when the weather is inclement.

xx
Run roofing

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 15:09
by Jeanette
xx
found this for roofing the run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 16:40
by karlooben
xx
roofing and ventilation

Started by emu on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 17:27
by emu
xx
A roofing question???

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 01:02
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 36 queries.