Sick hens please can you help?

• 11 Replies

rmatt1

Sick hens please can you help?
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:39 »
Hi

I have 2 white hens and 3 brown ones.  The problem is that the 2 white ones (they are about 30 weeks old and have not started to lay yet - nor the brown hens) have very red/sore back ends, and they don't want to move around or eat anything.  They are fat hens though, and I have tried to get their weight down with no success (the brown hens are fine and fairly slim). Can anyone help with a diagnosis?? These white hens are really pets not for eggs.

Many thanks

Bob

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Sick hens please can you help?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:27 »
Is there anyway that you could post a picture of the sore back ends? How long have they been like this? Have they lost their feathers there or is the skin just red?  Have you checked for lice or mites?. If they are fat then cut out all treats and just feed them layers pellets or layers mash only. Do they roost or sleep in their nest boxes? What are their poohs like? Sorry for so many questions but we really need as much information as possible to help with your problem.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:52 »
Hi , like Joy says we really need photos. How long have they been like this? If they are pets then why not pop them along to the vets, they may need antibiotics.

rmatt1

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:09 »
Hiya

They have lost some feathers but not many, I have checked for lice and mites but will treat that just in case. They all sleep in their nests as I can't get them to roost so the nest get very dirty and damp. Their poos are just water (white with dark green streaks in). They don't like veg apart from sweet corn and only have crumbles.  This is the second day they have been like this.  If it goes on I will take them to the vets as he has a chicken farm too, but he is over an hours drive away. (one of the pleasures of living in Hungary)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21 »
I think I'd cut out the corn for now, and try and get them eating layers pellets.

Some of mine sleep in nest boxes too, and it does mean extra work for me to keep the boxes clean and dry.  But it has to be done.  If they are sleeping in nasty conditions, that could be the reason skin is sore.

I use hemcore as bedding.  And sometimes add a wadge of newspaper underneath for insulation and even more absorbancy.

You must pick the poo out of the nest boxes every day, including any damp bedding.

I also use Stalison F as a dry disinfectant everytime I change the nest box bedding, which is at least once a week.

Alternatively, you could just block off the nest boxes, and try to get them to perch?  I'm a bit indulgent with mine because they are retired battery hens.

Think I be getting them in for a wash round the sore bits, and perhpas apply some antiseptic cream.

If in doubt, then it has to be the vets.  Perhaps you could speak over the phone if journey is long?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 10:22 »
Have a look at these picture of chicken poohs and see if their poohs match any

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Have they been wormed? You say they are sleeping in the nest boxes and that they dirty and damp - well this could also be the problem with the redness and feather loss - their mess will be strong in ammonia which will burn their skin (battery hens can suffer with this which is why some suffer burn scars and never get their feathers back in that are), if they insist on sleeping in the nest area you must clean it out daily and use a really good absorbent layer such as hemcore or arboise, don't use shredded paper or straw as they are not  absorbent enough in this case.
An hour away for a vet who understands chickens isn't bad really some on here have far further to travel for a good vet  :)

rmatt1

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 13:06 »
Many thanks for all your replies you have been a great helps, as always.  What is hemcore and arboise I have never heard of this!!!!
I must admit I have been a bit lazy these last few weeks as it has been difficult to get to the hen house with snow up to 9 feet deep, but I will get it done every day. (no more snow now till next year!!!)
I am not sure what I feed them really, I asked the merchants for a layer feed and he sells me crumbles (the label says for eggs!!!!) but all is happening is that the 2 white ones are getting fatter and fatter, they have difficulty in walking now. I try to cut out most things to try and get some weight off them but not succeeded yet, they weigh about 7 kilos each.

rmatt1

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 13:19 »
Hi
Just and update I have had a look at the pics (brilliant) and the ones closest is the pic of the watery with green bits in the 25 week old hen. Her tail is down too and eats little but is still too fat!!! She has been wormed about 6 weeks ago, should I do them all again do you think?

goodegg

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 13:20 »
do you know what sort of hen they are it sound to me that they are cobbs or some other of that type and that is possibly why they are having trouble to walk

poppies

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 14:38 »
do you know what sort of hen they are it sound to me that they are cobbs or some other of that type and that is possibly why they are having trouble to walk

That is what I was thinking -  are the white ones more muscular looking if so they are probably table birds and going off their legs - ready to cull for eating

rmatt1

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 19:49 »
Just to let you know, both my white hens died this morning. Apparently they died of heart failure and their lungs filled with water which made it impossible to breathe. And at only 30 weeks old

Many thanks for your replies and help

Bob

too many girls

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 19:55 »
it does very much sound like they were table birds (programmed to eat and eat) and simply got too fat and their hearts gave out, strange they both died at the same time though.

xx
sick hens

Started by brucie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 22:39
by Aunt Sally
xx
Think my hens sick!! Help

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 17:46
by Helenaj
sad
7 sick hens.....................can you advise?

Started by tamnwill on The Hen House

43 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 15:52
by Ice
xx
Sick bantie hens

Started by runner52 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 13:35
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 29 queries.