Think my hens sick!! Help

• 5 Replies

RICH_Chicken

Think my hens sick!! Help
« on: July 28, 2013, 20:23 »
Hello all,

I have 6 chickens on my allotment and everyday I go up there always active and noisy! I went up yesterday to notice 5 were out an about and 1 was missing so presumed she was laying! Went in to hen house an there she was sitting in nest box so I thought nothing of it! However 2 hours later she still had not emerged, so I just went home, I have been back today an she was still sat in the nest box! Even when I throw the corn (they all go mad) she didn't move! So I went into the house and usually I can't get near the hens but she didn't even move she literally looked lifeless? I went to pick her up she didn't move again? I have never seen the hen like this as they are usually so active? I thought she might be broody? But I thought they were protective of nest an when I went to collect eggs she didn't even move then? I could literally push her around without her doing a thing?? Any help I'm not sure what is wrong if anything? Just very strange of this chicken!

Thanks

Rich_Chicken
Rich_Chicken :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Think my hens sick!! Help
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 08:54 »
she sounds very broody, some will attack you when you go to get the eggs but others are in such a deep trance that will let you move them and appear not to notice you doing it  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:47 »
Definitely broody! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 20:57 »
what type of hen is she and is she laying?

barley

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:44 »
I have one just the same - flipping broody again  ;)

you need to take her out and put her somewhere that's airy and no very comfy to sit down - make sure she has shade shelter water and food

I do this every time I get a brooder and it takes roughly 3 days to snap out of it

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 17:46 »
I have one just the same - flipping broody again  ;)

you need to take her out and put her somewhere that's airy and no very comfy to sit down - make sure she has shade shelter water and food

I do this every time I get a brooder and it takes roughly 3 days to snap out of it

Four of mine are broody - the Dorking you can hear screaming at me from the nest box because she's heard me open the gate to my compound. She knows I'm going to pinch the eggs from under her and goes into kamikazee mode when i open the coop door - I have cuts all up my arm where she has pecked me and have now taken to wearing a heavy jacket when I collect the eggs - a joy in this weather!  :D

xx
sick hens

Started by brucie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 22:39
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sick hens please can you help?

Started by rmatt1 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 19:55
by too many girls
sad
7 sick hens.....................can you advise?

Started by tamnwill on The Hen House

43 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 15:52
by Ice
xx
Sick bantie hens

Started by runner52 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 13:35
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.76 seconds with 31 queries.