HELP!

• 12 Replies

Aliparty

HELP!
« on: July 22, 2013, 18:15 »
My chicken 'Superman' has just laid her very first ever egg- it had a very thin shell which cracked when I picked it up.
Now she seems a bit lethargic, not interested in food but is drinking. She normally runs after me whenever I go to get food but she just stayed where she was...

Is it just the effort of laying her first egg? or do you think she's poorly? The other 3 chickens seem fine.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 18:58 »
laying a soft shelled egg (and it sounds like it was bordering on that) takes it toll on any bird. Once she has got into the hang of laying she will be ok.
Does she have access to crushed oyster shell and greens?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aliparty

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 19:04 »
she has layers pellets, occasional corn, grit and access to all the garden for most of the day (so plenty greens) doesn't have oyster shell (unless it's mixed into the grit? there are definitely some sorts of shells in that). We have never had any soft shell eggs from the others but they are all different breeds. She is only about 20 weeks old we think so have never worried that she hasn't laid before. Do you think she needs oyster shell then?

I have also just noticed that she seems to be holding one of her wings funny- like it's sticking out a bit- I'm really worried.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 19:10 »
look on the packet of the grit and see if it says crushed shells.

Aliparty

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 19:21 »
I've just checked- there is oyster shell in the poultry grit that she has.

Aliparty

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 19:32 »
so are very first eggs normally normal?

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 19:49 »
they can vary from hen to hen - some lay normal (albeit smaller) others lay wind eggs, some are the wrong colour and some are soft shelled.

Aliparty

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 20:19 »
I'm really hoping that it is just that it's her first egg and nothing more sinister but it's just a stab in the dark as these are my first chickens. I feel like I want to give her a cuddle- but don't think she'd be up for that!

Aliparty

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 22:21 »
Superman is fine now- no more eggs yet but she's acting fine, eating and drinking well.  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 22:51 »
That is good news.  I think lots of poultry are out of sorts with the unusually hot weather. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 10:55 »
First eggs are often a bit thin shelled or soft, I have a hen who's first few eggs were wrinkley. She'll soon get the hang of it.

Helenaj

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 20:28 »

I have also just noticed that she seems to be holding one of her wings funny- like it's sticking out a bit- I'm really worried.

Just to put your mind at rest - hens will hold their wings out when they are especially hot - it's their way of cooling down. If she does not look as though she is holding it out through pain I'd bet she is just cooling off. They hold it as though they have a rolled up pair of socks underneath!

Aliparty

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 21:35 »
thanks for the advice- she is still fine and has layed her second egg today which was perfect.  :)

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 29 queries.