germ cells

• 8 Replies

peter o

germ cells
« on: February 22, 2010, 21:06 »
hi
i have been thinking of buying a cockrel this year I have 24 hens which are a mixture of true breeds and hybrids. The thing is I sell quite a lot of eggs. Would I eed to ensure eggs sold for eating were not fertilised or is the germ cell too small to notice if the egg is fresh?

dizzylizzie

Re: germ cells
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 21:13 »
HI, I have a very active cockerel, and we eat the eggs and give them away. They dont look any different to unfertilized eggs, and as long as the girls dont go broody and sit on them for a few days you should be fine ;)

peter o

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 21:20 »
great thanks for that

too many girls

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 22:12 »
eggs will be fine but with 24 ladies 1 cockerel will be exhausted :)

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 17:39 »
yeah - but he'll sleep with a smile on his beak!   lol ;)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 18:50 »
You should not sell them according to legislation when fertilised.   But we have been eating them for hundreds of years and it has not affected us humans.   Cluck cluck.   You can see quiet clearly they are fertile when cracked.  Just add "must be eaten within 28days and kept refrigerated after purchase" on your packaging, to stop the eggs developing.  Thats what I would do if I sold my eggs which I do not .  :wub:
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 18:57 »
You should not sell them according to legislation when fertilised.   But we have been eating them for hundreds of years and it has not affected us humans.   Cluck cluck.   You can see quiet clearly they are fertile when cracked.  Just add "must be eaten within 28days and kept refrigerated after purchase" on your packaging, to stop the eggs developing.  Thats what I would do if I sold my eggs which I do not .  :wub:

See, there must be a warning in there for me never to cook eggs when half asleep cos i cant see a difference :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 18:57 »
And here is a pic of the spot. I agree with Ruff, if I had sold my eggs when I had a cock bird I would have marked them with "must be eaten within 28days and keep refrigerated after purchase"  ;)
closeupeggfertile-main_Full.jpg

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 19:25 »
im so bleary eyed when im cooking breakfast i wouldnt even notice if a fuly grown chicken fell out ! he he he
In all seriousness tho, ive never noticed a 'spot' before....so either Muffin is firing blanks, or i really shouldnt be let loose with a frying pan until i can at least see what im doing :unsure:
I will be very vigilant 'spot' watching now :D

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 36 queries.