Leftover Ham

• 24 Replies

Poolfield2

Re: Leftover Ham
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 11:40 »
We had the sort of carbonara on the first day and special egg fried rice with ham and stir fry veg the second day. We then managed to get out shopping again and it has snowed twice since then but not too much so we have restocked on the fruit and veg front.

I made summer pudding with fruit from the freezer, eating summer pudding in a snow storm did seem a bit odd :lol:

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 12:17 »
You can also use it for topping pizzas. ;)

Make Denver omeletts(I know it is an American thing.... LOL) - chopped ham, chopped onion, peppers chopped and grated cheese. Also can use mushrooms if on hand. Sautee the veg in a bit of butter until softened and add the chopped ham to warm, then make your omelett and befor folding put on the veg and meat. Fold over put cheese ontop and put under grill till cheese if bubbly.

We also used to make a big pot of Ham and Beans when we had ham leftover. We use what we call Navy beans, but you can use dried harricot or pinto beans too. Soak over night and cook beans until just tender and then add the ham, chopped carrot, onion, and celery. And we serve it over cornbread.

It is lovely chopped and added to green beans too more as a flavouring. :)

Now you have made me want to get a ham this week. LOL

Poolfield2

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 20:00 »
I keep trying to make cornbread but as I'm wheat intolerant I can't add any ordinary flour, does your recipe have wheat in? If it doesn't would you be willing to share the recipe with me, pretty please :lol:

The omlette thingy sounds lovely, I'll have a go at that!

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 20:53 »
Hi Poolfield

This is the cornbread recipe I use, it is from a cajun cookbook that I like. I find it works fine.

Cornbread
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons oil

Sift dry ingredients together. Make a well in center. Beat egg, milk, and oil together and pour into well. Mix thoroughly. Pour into heated, well, greased round 8 inch dish and bake at 180-200 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until mixture pulls away from the pan
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Poolfield2

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 18:07 »
Thanks Mosslane, that sounds excellent and it isn't even full of sugar like some I've tried.

I bought Rye bread today so I will try it when I've finished that off and let you know ho I get on.

AnnaM

• My dish
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 21:22 »
Great advice Havendore, very very yummy. A x

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 22:55 »
Sorry Poolfield, mine has plain flour in it along with the cornmeal. Can you eat oat flour? Or does it have gluten too? You might be able to use 1/2 oat flour and 1/2 cornmeal.  My recipe has more sugar too.  It is almost cake like.

Poolfield2

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 22:24 »
It is wheat and to a lesser extent spelt that give me problems but oats are not a problem thanks. I am after a bread replacement but cornbread does seem to be more like cake.

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 17:23 »
Hi Poolfield, I imagine I am asking the obvious but have you tried some of the alternative flours like rice or soy flour. There are some good bread recipes for gluten free bread using those flours. I had to be wheat free for a few months when they were trying to diagnose my problems before my MS diagnosis, it is a pain I know trying to find bread and pastry.

Poolfield2

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 22:56 »
I have tried loads of different bread recipes but most of the results lead me to believe that Ryvita, ricecakes or oatcakes are preferable (indeed cardboard is better than some I have made :lol:).

There is now a brilliant glutenfree bread called Genius available from supermakets but at £2.50 per loaf :ohmy: I thought if I could make my own it would be cheaper.

I have found a recipe for spelt bread that works quite well in a breadmaker but more than 1 slice a day and I'm back to having trouble.

Now I have got used to it I don't find wheatfree living all that difficult but I do crave a good cheese and tomato sandwich and the Genius loaf sorted that out for me :)

xx
Christmas leftover recipes

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post December 29, 2008, 14:18
by titch
xx
Damson Gin leftover cake

Started by Mosslane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2009, 17:26
by Mosslane

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.