Quick chilli question!

• 12 Replies

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
Quick chilli question!
« on: February 09, 2010, 18:37 »
I planted my first ever chillis a few weeks ago and they all germinated to my suprise :ohmy:iv potted them on to bigger pots as they were becoming leggy they seem to be doing ok but still have only two big leaves is this what should happen or have i done something wrong any advice please!!!After looking at photos of other chilli plants they look like they should be producing more leaves by now thanks!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Quick chilli question!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 18:51 »
They will be getting leggy because they are not getting enough light.

Did you use tin foil behind them to maximise and reflect back the weak winter daylight?  The days are IMHO far too short for strong plants to grow yet on a window sill.  I have difficulty with leggy plants which I start off in April.

Did the packet say not to start growing until Feb at the earliest?

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 18:57 »
To be honest no it said early march but by speaking to a few people on here they said it should be ok,do you think its to early for them then or by putting foil behind them will it help!

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 18:58 »
Most of my chilli seed packs say to sow in march but i sowed some a week or so ago, good germination but mine are also getting a bit leggy.
     It was just an experiment planting so early this year ( mainly due to impatients ) but I do tend to plant exactly the same in a month or so and monitor the difference.
     What varieties are you growing FB
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 19:00 »
I don't grow chillies myself but my thoughts are that it would be better to follow the seed packet and resow in March - I don't think you're likely to recover these into strong plants.  But others may disagree who have grown chillies and know more about these particular plants.

You will see repeated warnings here about it being counterproductive to sow too early, sorry

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 19:00 »
I'd got that many chilli and sweet pepper seed, I thought I'd risk it at the same time as I sowed my toms.

The foil went up behind them as soon as they emerged and they are looking fine,  prevention is better than cure.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 19:02 »
Hi Isaccs,Im growing Tabasco,hot wax and Jalepeno just a trial run really but was hoping they were going to be ok!

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 19:08 »
I planted my first ever chillis a few weeks ago and they all germinated to my suprise :ohmy:iv potted them on to bigger pots as they were becoming leggy they seem to be doing ok but still have only two big leaves is this what should happen or have i done something wrong any advice please!!!After looking at photos of other chilli plants they look like they should be producing more leaves by now thanks!

All the varieties you have listed could have been left until March and you'll have still had a decent crop. Best thing to do is to pot them on and bury the stem almost to the cotyledon, they'll eventually grow more roots. And as DD says get some foil behind them light levels are really low at the moment most enthusiasts have lights setup as the sun just isnt good enough.

Expect to see true leaves in about 2 weeks.

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 19:10 »
I wanted to grow jalepeno this year but neglected to get the seeds,
I'm growing scotch bonnet (again), cayenne(again but my favourite for a chilli con carne),chinese bell (seeds taken from bird seed),banana chilli, Tepin, Bhut jolokia(can't wait for that one) and an unknown variety that I got from a friend(I'm calling it the Nigel).
Oh and a tomato lookalike(also from Nigel).
     I think I'm going a bit chilli crazy.
Good luck with yours FB

spottymint

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 19:14 »
Hi

Mine are about an inch high, only 2 leaves & they were sowed in January.
They were moved to cooler conditions as soon as they germinated.

I have them in good light & will pot on in March/April, Chili's I find are slow growers, seems to take ages to get going after germination, almost like they have stopped growing at times & then they seem to put on agrowth spurt.

I have done this for the last 2 years & my plants have been fine.

Hope others can offer better advice.  :)

fletcherbaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 19:17 »
Well thats filled me with confidence spottymint im going to repot them down to the cotyledon andput some foil behind them hopefully all will be fine then fingers crossed!

bigben

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 10:43 »
I have exactly the same problem as fletcherbaker so thanks for the burying idea will do this tonight. My jalapeno and big Jim have come up by two other types have not but I will also do the foil idea - thanks

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 23:29 »
I tend to plant my chillis a bit too early (I always get a bit too eager to get something growing) and it is common for them to get a bit leggy but when I pot them up I just bury them a bit further down so the compost come half way up the leggy stem and they have done really well in the past.

Interestingly mine don't seem so leggy this year although a couple of varieties will need earthing up when potted on.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
QUICK QUESTION RE CHILLI'S

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2014, 21:39
by adri123
xx
quick question

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 21:23
by shed head
xx
Quick question please

Started by mum23kids on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 19:20
by Yorkie
xx
quick asparagus question

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 10:35
by gillie

Page created in 0.567 seconds with 28 queries.