Rubarb, rubarb

• 7 Replies

Anton

Rubarb, rubarb
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:58 »
There is a rhubarg plant I would like to move elsewhere before starting gardening this year. Is there any special time for doing so (is it too late)? Is it safe to do so? And what precautions should I take?

Anton

penance

Re: Rubarb, rubarb
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:17 »
Yep now would be a good time.

Not sure why it would be unsafe or what precautions you mean?

digalotty

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:24 »
i recently read another thread on rhubarb and the conclusion was that it is practically indestructible ,  this person chopped a large root up in to pieces ready to replant so theres something else you may consider :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 11:27 »
Exactly what I've just done to mine and it had roots down to China.  It still lies chopped in bits and I fully expect it to take over again when it's all re-planted.
Cheese makes everything better.

ruralczech

• Walnut Tree Farm B&B Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:53 »
A neighbour of mine lifts a couple of roots before the ground freezes solid, he then puts the roots into a cellar on the floor and covers them with some compost he gets some nice sticks earlier than anyone. He replants the roots after and leaves them for 2-3 years before doing it again. 

fatbelly

Re: Rhubarb, rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 13:10 »
I lifted my two year old Rhubarb crown in November to split in two.
I lifted it then left it on the top of the soil and along came all that really cold weather (minus 13 here one night) and snow. The crown was on top of the soil in all the winter weather for about 2 months.

10 days ago I literally chopped it in half with a spade and stuck the two roots back in the soil and stood on them to firm them in.  This morning I noticed both Crowns sending up the smallest of leaves.

99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 13:34 »
I have a huge rhubarb plant to move. It was already a mature plant when we moved in 19 years ago and from initially tackling it last autumn I know the roots are at least 4inches thick, and go down at least 2 feet.

I expect to have to wrestle with it to get it out, but out it will have to come as it's blocking a pathway. I was pleased to read above that the long tap root can be cut before replanting. How much of that tap root needs to be left on for it to survive, this could the make the job of digging it out a whole lot more manageable.

I have already prepared a new home for it next to my frog pond and have put in some very old and well rotted farm manure.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 17:33 »
You can leave as little as a few inches of root and the plant will recover, but about a foot will have it recover faster for picking.  But do be sure to dig out as much remaining root as possible or in a few years you'll have a new plant sprouting in your pathway  :D

xx
rubarb

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2007, 19:35
by WG.
xx
Rubarb

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2021, 16:41
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What is this? and rubarb?

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 22:10
by pawsnclaws
xx
growing rubarb

Started by newatthis on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 08:14
by DD.

Page created in 0.572 seconds with 30 queries.