Flower Seed Sowing

• 3 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Flower Seed Sowing
« on: February 09, 2010, 09:56 »
Morning - I've got a number of packets of seeds which say to start sowing now and over the next 2 months (snapdragon, cleome, lupins etc). I'm planning on sowing them in the heated propagator in the lean-to greenhouse, but at what stage/size do I move them out of the propagator, and do I leave them in the greenhouse or move them straight into the coldframe? I've tried to work out which way is best and I've now thought about it soooooo much I've confused myself!!!! (I can also move things into the polytunnel at the allotment if that's better) Sorry to be so dense and as ever, thanks for your help. Hey Jude.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Flower Seed Sowing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:02 »
Read the packet, what temperature does it advise? Too much heat can inhibit propagation. Don't be in too much of a rush to start them at the earliest time on the packet.

Remember - once you've got a lot of plants on your hands, you have to find somewhere to put them and it still may be too cold for them.

If you do use a heated propagator, the seeds should come out, or at least the top taken off AS SOON AS they have germinated.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:35 »
Thanks DD I'm trying to make sure that I don't sow too late and miss the flowering time altogether (which I did last year!). The lupins need 20 - 25 degrees but I think I'll hold back like you say as it's still so cold here - I d be mortified if I started growing things only to have them die of the cold a month later!

noshed

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 11:54 »
good decision
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
sowing flower seeds

Started by AmandaLouise on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 00:02
by sclarke624
xx
Light and seed sowing....

Started by rhysdad on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 21:11
by tam
xx
sowing perennial seed

Started by helluvatractor on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 21:02
by DD.
xx
Sowing grass seed

Started by Foxy on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 22:17
by FCG

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 28 queries.