Chocolate Orpingtons

• 20 Replies

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Chocolate Orpingtons
« on: February 02, 2010, 21:21 »
I have just been having a look on E bay, there is someone selling Choc banty orps on there for £195 +5-50 P+P are they that rare???????
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

Foxy

Re: Chocolate Orpingtons
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 21:31 »
Choc orps have recently been "made" took a fair few years to get it right. Usually any new pure breed that has become standardised costs a fair few pennies, due to novelty and lack of supply. You don't really hear that much about them and these hatching eggs are not often sold.

For some strange reason choc orps have become very popular,that orpingtons as a breed have become a popular garden fowl probably helped.

There are a lot of  greedy unscrupulous suppliers on ebay that are not breeders, just people making a quick buck, which is sad, and I have heard horror stories about them..not hatching..or hatching into something very unlike a choc orp...

Makes my hackles rise I'm afraid, there are a lot of super rare poultry breeds that could do with a bit of support, yet people would rather spend hundreds of pounds on a "fad" :(

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 21:37 »
Foxy,
there are loads of them on there any thing from 70 to the price i have just said about, who would be fool enough to pay that price, there is someone else on there saying that white orps are rarer than the choc's!!!! are they? i have seen loads of whites for sale, papers, auctions etc, i totally agree with you and it makes me very angry when i see people trying to make that sort of money on 6 eggs!!!! But people will pay it! I  think i would look at my 200 quid before i brought something that!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 21:44 »
yet people would rather spend hundreds of pounds on a "fad" :(

I bet they taste good though  ;)

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 21:47 »
LOL but a very expensive Roast dinner Aunt sally ~still chuckling~

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 21:50 »
Don't know about roast but anything thats chocolate should taste good  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 21:56 »
Don't know about roast but anything thats chocolate should taste good  :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 02:43 »
It's a huge risk buying on ebay not only for the reasons Foxy states but there are plenty of diseases which can be passed through hatching eggs too and I don't think I'd want to risk buying eggs without knowing something about how they were bred and having seen the parent stock.  I wish they'd stop this potentially dangerous unregulated trading which is wide open to exploitation from unscrupulous people.

HF
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 02:55 »
Foxy,
there are loads of them on there any thing from 70 to the price i have just said about, who would be fool enough to pay that price, there is someone else on there saying that white orps are rarer than the choc's!!!! are they? i have seen loads of whites for sale, papers, auctions etc, i totally agree with you and it makes me very angry when i see people trying to make that sort of money on 6 eggs!!!! But people will pay it! I  think i would look at my 200 quid before i brought something that!

They maybe chocalate but they are laying golden eggs for someone!

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38 »
It's a huge risk buying on ebay not only for the reasons Foxy states but there are plenty of diseases which can be passed through hatching eggs too and I don't think I'd want to risk buying eggs without knowing something about how they were bred and having seen the parent stock.  I wish they'd stop this potentially dangerous unregulated trading which is wide open to exploitation from unscrupulous people.

HF

Its a mystery to me why ebay allows the selling of hatching eggs...I know there are good sellers on there, but you just don't know, and most serious breeders that I know sell through word of mouth, poultry clubs, dedicated forums etc..

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 11:59 »
Here's one we hatched earlier  :D

Jeanette

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 14:23 »
Love the chocolate chick. Yum

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 18:55 »
Saw someone selling choc orpington POL birds, 250 per hen and 300 for a cockerel! Madness!
I do agree that ebay can be dodgy to buy eggs from, however not everyone lives near an auction, for example the nearest to me is at least an hours drive away and on a thursday so I can't go due to work etc.......
I'm planning on selling some of my red dorking eggs on ebay this year, these are the breeds we should be keeping more of!
End of the day it's always a risk buying hatching eggs from auctions and indeed some breeders. But after all, some of that risk is part of the fun!
p.s. - this isn't a rant  :tongue2:

Steve

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 20:15 »
You can advertise them for sale on this site now grenhouse.  Free to private sellers

http://ads.allotment-garden.org/

tez

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 20:52 »
You can advertise them for sale on this site now grenhouse.  Free to private sellers

http://ads.allotment-garden.org/

soory to jump in but do you have to join this link or do you use same name and password as on here just tryed wont let me in :blink :ohmy:

xx
Orpingtons

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 20:34
by Madrat
xx
Buff Orpingtons

Started by Indiana on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 13:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
Pictures of my Orpingtons at last!!

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 19:49
by ycholmes
xx
Will my Orpingtons be bantams or LF

Started by taliz on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 17:00
by Casey76

Page created in 1.717 seconds with 30 queries.