Cherries

• 3 Replies

Andymack

Cherries
« on: June 27, 2006, 17:42 »
Hi there everyone, very very new to all this growing stuff, i work for an organic home delivery company and have really become interested. I have some cherry stones (organic of course), when and how should i plant them?

Thankyou very much Andy

Jake

• Rockers
Cherries
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 20:19 »
You might be looking at a long term prospects producing cherries from seed. Still worth it I think but you could be looking at 7 years before your first  proper harvest. I still think its a good thing to do.

By the way I haven't done it but I am thinking about doing it with other fruits.

You'll need to propagate the seed and harden it off and all that. John Seymour says to grow them against a wall to protect from birds.

You might not need to learn about grafting for cherrys but most fruit trees should be grafted on to some other hardier rootstock, an aparently simple technique, well it looks simple to me.

Edit: Edited for spelling
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Cherries
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 12:18 »
Hi Andymack
I'm not 100% here so subject to someone correcting me :)
Cherries are usually grafted onto a rootstock so trees you buy are a proven good fruiter plus a proven rootstock which controls how big the plant will grow.
So you can have a smll tree in the garden. Planting a stone means you will have a full size tree (cherries are pretty big) and the fruit is a bit of a lottery depending on what variety pollinated the plant.
Of course, you might end up with a marvellous fruit but it's a bit of a lottery style gamble,
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

yewtreemob

Cherries
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 12:52 »
Yes Andymack - I have a Cherry tree in the garden that is 40 ft high - the birds love it but we get nothing afte they have finished.  Cherries ned to be on dwarf rooting stock or carefully controlled so that they can be netted prior to fruit ripening

xx
If they look like cherries does that mean they are cherries?

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 23:42
by Salmo
xx
cherries

Started by ruby400 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 23:20
by Trillium
xx
About seven cherries!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 14:31
by Trillium
xx
Another year without cherries?

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 15:24
by Trillium

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 28 queries.