Another year without cherries?

• 13 Replies

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
Another year without cherries?
« on: April 29, 2014, 18:55 »
Following on from this thread I started last year

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=105082.msg1177434#msg1177434

This year we had lots of blossom, but most of the stalks with the tiny fruit formation have dropped off  :(

Are we ever going to get any cherries?  :(

BabbyAnn

Re: Another year without cherries?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 21:14 »
The ones that dropped off probably hadn't been pollinated - either due to the weather if it has been raining, or bees haven't been out, again usually due to the rain (birds tend to pick them off too sometimes)   It's possible that some fruit will have set but you just can't see them yet.

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 22:27 »
Thanks, I thought that might be the case.
The blossom was only on the tree for a few days..........can I "make like the bees" with a paint brush?

We seem to get very few bees and their like, especially so early in the year.
I always do the courgettes with a brush, and chillies, and runner beans, all with limited success.
My broad beans are absolutely covered in flowers but I just know the harvest will be poor  :(

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:50 »
I remember seeing THIS in CHINA when watching a documentary on the decline of honey bees, so hand pollinating fruit trees is a possibility.  I have to confess my cherry trees are all self-fertile cultivars and it struck me that your tree might need a pollinating partner - can you remember what it is called? 

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:53 »
tree might need a pollinating partner - can you remember what it is called?

It's a dwarf Maynard.....interesting article, that's a lot of blossom!!!

Can I just go from flower to flower or will I need, as you say, a pollinator. I guess it would depend whether the Maynard produces both male & female flowers.......is that right  :unsure:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:32 »
Can I just go from flower to flower or will I need, as you say, a pollinator. I guess it would depend whether the Maynard produces both male & female flowers.......is that right  :unsure:

The Maynard cherry is listed as a self fertile variety - this basically means it does not need another tree as a pollinating partner (some plants will not accept pollen from themselves so need pollen from another plant)

Each cherry tree blossom contains both the male and female parts but usually one part (say the female) matures much later after the male part (stamens) have released the pollen.  To pollinate, use a soft paintbrush and gently pick up pollen from one blossom and go to another blossom where some should land on the female stigma as you pick up more pollen and go to the next blossom and so on.  I've never done this before but I imagine it should work.  You'll need to re-visit the blossom over a number of days until they die off to make sure they are all pollinated.

If bees are low in numbers where you live, have you considered buying a bumble bee colony?  The bumble bees can be ordered online such as this one http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=5&cat=22&id_product=431 - have to admit the prices are a bit eye watering especially for just one tree in the garden LOL

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 17:28 »
Is there a possibility that the Maynard is not suitable to your soil/area?
I say this because I planted fruit trees last year for the first time. I visited all the local garden centres and wrote down what they sold and did some 'digging' on the internet. I prepared a short list and spoke to the men on the fruit section, and made my purchases. One was a cherry and I chose 'Stella', which this year has potentially produced an enormous crop.
For that reason I would not buy from an internet site, but I don't know what preparation you have done.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 19:34 »
how old is the tree? have you pruned?

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 21:04 »
I had the same problem with my peach trees one year - late frost nipped all the blossoms that had just opened   :mad: :mad:

One way around this is at night cover the whole top of the tree with some sort of plastic or row cover (and tie it down) when the blossoms are forming and remove in morning. If a sudden frost happens along, the blossoms will be safe and you'll get your crop. It's a bit of bother but only for less than a week if you really want a crop. Once the fruit starts forming then you're usually safe to leave them alone.

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:19 »
Each cherry tree blossom contains both the male and female parts but usually one part (say the female) matures much later after the male part (stamens) have released the pollen.  To pollinate, use a soft paintbrush and gently pick up pollen from one blossom and go to another blossom where some should land on the female stigma as you pick up more pollen and go to the next blossom and so on. 

Thanks, I'll give this a go next year, as I said I already have to do the chillies, courgettes etc  :(

Is there a possibility that the Maynard is not suitable to your soil/area?

Quite possible, our "soil" is completely barren, sandy rubbish, but the hole was prepared as recommended. I'll try & research this.

how old is the tree? have you pruned?

I bought it in 2010, it was a Valentine's gift for Christine. I took all the flowers off in the first year (as per instructions?)
It had a light pruning in 2012, if I remember correctly it produced about a dozen semi formed "fruits" but these dropped off when they were about the size of a pea. It produced very few blooms last year & 2 cherries!!

late frost nipped all the blossoms

That is also possible although we haven't had any frosts to speak of recently & the tree is in a sheltered position against (2ft away) a fence & has shelter from a silver birch which is about 10-12 ft away.
We certainly had frosts before the blooms opened though.

grinling

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 12:14 »
This variety is non pruning unlike others. Have you been fertilising around the base. It can take up to 7 years before fruiting.
buds should be covered in winter to protect from birds.

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 13:56 »
This variety is non pruning unlike others. Have you been fertilising around the base. It can take up to 7 years before fruiting.
buds should be covered in winter to protect from birds.

I did prune once but only 4-5" from a few stems that had made it a bit straggly. It is only 5' tall. The "trunk" is about 2" dia. and has almost doubled since planting, so I would say that's an indication of a healthy tree??

I did give it some growmore last year
I will mulch the base this year & I won't prune at all. I think I might construct some sort of fruit cage for it.

Thanks for the links

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 15:24 »
A fruit cage would help. Birds are notorious for stealing them soon as you turn your back whether the cherries are ripe or not.

xx
Cherries, Strawberries & thinking of next year.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2015, 12:23
by Goosegirl
xx
About seven cherries!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 14:31
by Trillium
xx
If they look like cherries does that mean they are cherries?

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 23:42
by Salmo
xx
cherries

Started by ruby400 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 23:20
by Trillium

Page created in 0.75 seconds with 29 queries.