Feather Pecking and eating

• 9 Replies

flimbin

• Allotment Vegs & Bees
Feather Pecking and eating
« on: January 30, 2010, 22:25 »
After feeding the chickens today, I watched 4 of them having a dust bath together. One of the others was circling around them pecking out and eating feathers.  The victims complained a little bit, but not very much and didnt seem overly upset. Should I be worried about this and/or do anyting about it?

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Feather Pecking and eating
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 17:47 »
hi! one of my girls likes to do this - and as you say the 'victims' dont really complain.  Apparently the feathers are full of minerals hence why they will eat them.  i'm not too worried about mine, i just make sure their bottoms arent  going bald or sore ::) - you can use gentian spray if it continues this will put them off pecking them out. good luck, how many girls do you have and what types are they?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 20:26 »
Feather pecking can be a problem and can be caused by a two things lack of minerals i.e. diet and lack of space (Cramped conditions).

What are you feeding them on? Do you give them any supplements?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 22:23 »
Oh Dear! i didnt know that   :(- mine are eating layers pellets and other scraps, corn etc, they are not quite free range but they have a lot of space for digging areas, grass etc.  only one of mine does this (although it is only now and then) should i be giving them mineral supplements?   

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:13 »
feathers provide protein, consider some fish flavour cat food, i use the small packet type, aldi do a box of fish flavour, just gives a bit of extra protein for them, esential when they have moulted, also consider a mineral supplement, life guard in the water or poultry spice in the food

chooksbury

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 21:17 »
Mine free range now about three days out of four and have poultry spice in their layers etc .. but still Iv got one with a baldy bum. However, as a last resort, I fit a bumper bit to the main protagonist and all is well.  Having said that .. the cat food ideas interesting .. but what about fish pellets as a treat ..  My sister works on a trout farm, and their organic fish pellets look like big layers, but are packed with added protein and minerals to help ikkul fish grow into big barbecue boys.  Any idea ?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 14:32 »
I personaly wouldn't risk it. Cat food works.

flimbin

• Allotment Vegs & Bees
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:57 »
Thanks.

She's stopped doing this without me doing anything. Perhaps the other chooks sorted her out!

Might try the cat food any way, but they already get mealworms,mixed corn, layers mash,layers pellets, weeds, veg trimming and a few sunflower seeds.

chooksbury

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 15:04 »
All pecking ceased after we cut out everything but layers before 2pm at least.  The layers are giving them all they need .. the treats are just that .. treats and are only fed later in the day.  Seems it was dietary after all as if they fill up on the other stuff they dont eat as much of the pellet which has everything in they need. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 15:32 »
brilliant so pleased it's sorted  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Feather Pecking/Eating

Started by D.Bates on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 21:53
by D.Bates
xx
Feather pecking and eating

Started by PlacidCasual on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 06:33
by Casey76
xx
feather pecking

Started by ken2 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 14:37
by chooksbury
xx
Feather pecking

Started by soya-bean on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 14:02
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 29 queries.