Rats in the compost

• 40 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Rats in the compost
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 22:45 »
I spotted a tunnel in my compost yesterday - although I have wire mesh underneath it - I suspect it squeezed through the gap at the edge of the trap door. Or else they've gnawed through the mesh.
Does anyone know what risk there is (if any) from Weil's Disease?

As far as I know Weil's disease is contracted from water infected with rats' urine.... take care if you have cuts and put your hands into water that has been left open to the air where rats may have been.

An internet search would give you more information - probably accurate too  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

swanseaguy

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 12:41 »
you should get someone local to you who has terriers and he would be more than happy to get rid of them for you and im talking from experience i do a lot of farms and stables and find its the most efficient way!!! :D

compostqueen

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 13:52 »
I miss my Jack Russell so much  :(  Wish I had him now, he'd sort out my rat problem

We have a chap on Freecycle who has ferrets and dogs, I think I'll give him a shout  :D

jason g

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 16:23 »
taking my jack russel down the plot today ,she`s got a bit of work todo that i discovered on the weekend
00000a1.jpg

compostqueen

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 22:13 »
My rat has been busy and the compost in the bin has slumped no end. He has now made a great hole by the hatch  :mad:

Paul Plots

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 22:23 »
I've had huge holes in the compost heap - large ones caused by foxes... nice of them to help turn it over!

I'd certainly sooner have foxes playing around than rats.... not friendly when they think they own the shed you need to get in and out of! After weeks of attempting to persuade them to leave (and knocking politely on the door to say I was going in) I gave up - demolished the shed, dug over the ground and they seem to have got the message.  :)

Meeting them standing up on their hind legs was just a bit off putting but when they took to making a day-bed on top of the rotovator cover that was the limit!!  >:(

compostqueen

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 12:08 »
Ooooer  :ohmy:

Rat is back in the compost bin and has started to import leaves into it so it looks like it's bringing its relatives  :mad:

Hacked off now as it's making me a nervous wreck so I put a deep bowl in the top with a sachet of bait in it and put the lid back on. No sign this morning that any of the bait has been taken, just a fresh delivery of leaves  >:(

savbo

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 12:35 »
when we had signs of rats i kicked the bin every time I went past it and took every opportunity to water it in a yellow fashion ( ???) - no rats when I came to turn it over!

compostqueen

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 13:59 »
I have poured ice cold water into it twice, bit tricky when you're trying to keep as far back as possible  :D

I empty ashes in their daily and they had no effect either. I thought ratty would hate it but no   :nowink:

My old man borrowed an air rifle but gave it back as he thought the problem was sorted, so now I'm relying on bait. I didn't want to use it though as I have chickens.  I know that they have a habit of moving bait about so it's a worry, although it's safely in the bin in a deep pot  :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 01:02 »
Give it time compostqueen... if they don't seem to be eating try adding a chopped cube of chocolate or a piece of bread to encourage them...

My rats got the idea speedily when I baited the inside of my shed - at each new visit I would find the empty bait-tray pushed out into the open on the floor ready for a refill... I'm sure they invited their mates in for a party!!  :tongue2:

compostqueen

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 16:07 »
Yes, I know what you mean  ::)  I've not looked yet today, I'm getting too nervous  :D

xx
help Rats in the compost

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 03, 2012, 09:23
by LilacSandy
xx
Rats and compost

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 16:38
by Scribbler
xx
Rats and compost bins

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 08:28
by dig4victory
xx
rats in the compost heap

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 19:01
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.979 seconds with 28 queries.