Rats and compost

• 4 Replies

Scribbler

Rats and compost
« on: February 15, 2008, 14:09 »
Don't really mind having the odd rat in the compost bins, and it's a welcome diversion for the cats.

However is there any evidence of health problems from the rats getting into the compost and thence into produce? I'm thinking Weil's disease or similar.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

paintedlady

Rats and compost
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 14:21 »
There is a strong possibility of disease.  If you were well out into the countryside perhaps not, but the rat population in towns probably do come into contact with the disease from waterways & sewers.

Your biggest problem is that today is one rat, tomorrow many many more! :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Annie

Rats and compost
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 00:02 »
I think rats in compost is inevitable,cold outside v warm compost bin with freshish food supplied regularly and they usually move out in summer.I`m not sure about the health issues since rats are everywhere,just if you have a compost heap the difference is you know where exactly some of them are.I use the eco friendly bicab stuff in a drainpipe section this time of the year as they start breeding soon near the heaps and cos they ate holes in the shed floor earlier this year.This seems to work as they had got wise to the blue warfrinised grain.It doesen`t get rid of all of them but it means only the mice are eating the bean seeds!

alan42

• Experienced Member
Rats and compost
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 15:39 »
it is illegal to harbour vermin knowingly as is traping them and then releasing them in another area as a have read people do, a fine or prison or both can be levied against the person. if i found out that somebody on our allotments had vermin and didnt report it i would termanate there lease immediatly and it takes a hell of a lot to be thrown of our site but keeping or allowing vermin on your plot will get you thrown of asp.
As already stated today one rat tommorow lots.
i should mention we supply free rat poision to all our tenants so theres no excuse.
alan

Scribbler

Rats and compost
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 16:38 »
Some friends of ours have a pet rat...

xx
Rats in the compost

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 16:07
by compostqueen
xx
help Rats in the compost

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 03, 2012, 09:23
by LilacSandy
xx
Rats and compost bins

Started by stentman on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 08:28
by dig4victory
xx
rats in the compost heap

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 19:01
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 27 queries.