Slug count!

• 29 Replies

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
Slug count!
« on: January 27, 2010, 19:06 »
Just popped out to the tunnel to pick some leaves (with a torch!) and picked 51 slugs off a 6ft x 2 ft patch! >:(

Joys of organic gardening! Lucky chickens tomorrow.

Does anyone else do this? So how many can you find?

viettaclark

Re: Slug count!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 23:24 »
Did that every night for 4 nights then left it for a week and did it again for a couple of nights. Also did slug pubs.
First night I snipped 67 HUGE beasties, then 50, 35, 39. (I remember it well!) Noticed the size was decreasing as time went on and the next week only the odd big one and less medium sized. Slug damage in the veg dropped to zero and I'm not having too much trouble so far this year.
I reckon we caught the big ones before mating which left small ones and any eggs. The chickens won't go for the big ones but they've been finding and eating the rest! Also, the hard frost and snow would've got a few.
May need a few blue pellets in the raised beds because they're fenced off from the chooks and there's a little bit of damage.
I'll be doing the midnight hunts again come March but I'm pretty sure I've made a big dent in the sluggy population!!!

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 23:32 »
Good grief Vietta!!!!

How big are your slugs that chickens are afraid of them????

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 07:59 »
what is a slug pub please??  :)

madcat

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 08:07 »
A pot sunk in the ground filled with old beer or milk.  The slugs are attracted to it, fall in and drown!  (where is the evil emo when you need it?)   All very organic and at least they die happy!   :D  They sell fancy ones in the garden centre - have a look sometime for ideas - but a cottage cheese tub works well too.

Be warned - they stink when it comes to emptying time!   :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 08:27 »
thanks for that might get one in now and try and get rid of the sods before i plant anything lol

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 09:21 »
I used jam jars set in flush to the earth, about 2/3 full of cheap lager then covered with a stone (leaving a gap) Slugs are attracted to the beer, slide under then drop in and get well sozzled. Put the jars where you know there's a problem and check regularly. You go through a few cans but you do get SOME slugs. Top up or change beer as necessary. I went through 12 cans!!
When you empty it, it STINKS! They may not be dead.....I've seen a couple shake off their hangovers and slip away so you'll need to snip their tums with scissors (very yeuch and sticky) or give them to the chooks. Came to the conclusion last year on this forum that was ok. The chooks don't get drunk on sozzled slugs. :lol: :lol:
They do cotton on eventually though and when you're finding the beer is clean it's back to the night-time torch sessions because there are still plenty left. Best time is Spring when they all become most active.
My girls won't touch the huge ones (4/5") because they're too slimey and big and tough! I've seen them try......
Vietta (slug killer grade A*)

plum crumble

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 09:42 »
yeargh!!! :wacko: it all sounds nearly as yucky as my scissor attack on the cabbage white caterpillars last summer. It saved my brassicas, and I have debris netting now!! What great satisfaction there was in cutting them in two. The slugs are next in line!!! (cue sound of maniacal laughter)  :wacko:
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

prakash_mib

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 10:27 »
I Just wanted to share a funny story about those *. I took over half a plot mid summer last year full of weeds, carpet piles and whatever you can think of (even a single shoe...). It was a warm breeding ground for slow worms. I cant kill them because a. they eat slugs (apparently) b. it is illegal (google slow worm) in UK to kill them.
When I tried to pull a carpet pile up in september there was a family of slow worms (20 or more) of them and on the side there was these huge slugs living with them. I thought Oh my god, that is an attenborough moment of "life" living in harmony or the worms were rearing slugs for Christmas.
got the slugs removed and drove the slow worms to corner of plot by creating carpet pile there.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 11:00 »
Those huge slugs are pretty tough I expect (haven't tried them) and when threatened produce tankersful of gummy slime.  I had chickens running round the garden with glued up beaks wiping them desperately on the grass. They can only cope with smaller ones that take one gulp and don't touch the sides!
No wonder slow-worms couldn't cope with the biggies. Bet they had the eggs though!Wish I had some slow-worms.....or frogs....or hedgehogs. They all feast on slugs.
Isn't nature wonderful!

Ivor Backache

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 11:02 »
I used jam jars set in flush to the earth, about 2/3 full of cheap lager then covered with a stone (leaving a gap) Slugs are attracted to the beer, slide under then drop in and get well sozzled.

Leave the jars proud of the surface by1/2", otherwise ground beetles some of which kill small slugs also become trapped. The slugs will easily climb over the raised rim, while the beetles get on with their job.

digalotty

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 11:49 »
i also noticed the decline in large slugs after a couple of torch sessions,    just think youve been feeding them to get that big with your veg , 
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

prakash_mib

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 11:57 »
Snipping with scissors  :mad: . I would put them in a waste tub and chop them with a hoe (oh yes I have brand new shiney silver blade one)

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 00:03 »
Gardeners of the world unite!
A-hunting sluggies we shall go...
We'll rootle in the veggie beds
And slay the demon, ravenous foe!
Slash! Snip! Slash!
(I thank you...)
Sorry folks! Just boredom. Roll on Spring, I'm going completely gaga......

Fisherman

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 05:32 »
Well viettaclark you made me smile.
You may well have lost the plot but I'm with you - roll on spring.
This has been a long winter.
Won't be long before starting growing things at the end of Feb in a cold greenhouse and cold frames.

Just watching the weather and they say there's going to be hard frosts over the weekend. If you have any spuds chitting make sure their protected.

Still smiling   :D

xx
Nocturnal slug hunts - do you do a head count?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 15:32
by Paul Plots
xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Low seed count

Started by Robster on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 12:24
by BumbleJo
xx
Go on then COUNT YOUR PACKETS OF VEG SEEDS!

Started by Salkeela on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 19:28
by yummy

Page created in 0.599 seconds with 29 queries.