Rats and Chickens

• 8 Replies

Feathers

Rats and Chickens
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:20 »
Obviously food thrown out for chickens will attract such things as rats but a neighbour says there are some in the area she has seen one in her own garden (not the same neighbour who complained about the poop) (i'm not doing well this week) how to discourage rats and not harm the chickens advice please

Feathers

Re: Rats and Chickens
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 20:48 »
btt

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 21:01 »
Usual good hygiene - no food around, good fence/mesh with L bottom.
At this time of year pests are short of food and will often be seen in the open when they are always there but keep well hidden. Have a word with your local pest control officer or environmental health officer who will look at the whole area.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 21:16 »
There are some useful tips to follow;
1. Nest - try not to have piles of junk that would make perfect hide-outs for rats to make a nest. Be as clear of clutter as possible.
2. Keep all feed in sealed bins, eg. good dustbin with close-fitting lids.
3. Lift feeders off the ground, especially at night.
4. clean up any scraps of food, spilt pellets daily.
5. try not to have any feed near the actual coop, keep feeders as faraway as possible...do not tempt the rats into the coop itself!!!
6. There will always be rats, by using poison in special chickenproof baitboxes, or traps etc always baited up, you will stop the 'odd' rat from becoming a large colony.

Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 21:28 »
try not to have an allotment next to someone who doesn't do all of the above.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 22:18 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 22:34 »
There are plenty of well stocked bird tables nowdays that ensure mice and rats never go hungry. While old style traps may not be good for clearing major infestations a well positioned  (safe from other animals but check able every day) trap will catch the first ones and stop them breeding. No poison or hidden smelly carcasses to worry about with traps.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 11:50 »
Rats need shelter, so don't give them a home,  eg as above, keep the place tidy with no 'rat dens'.  for same reason, raise coop well off the floor so they can't live/hide underneath.

They also need food.  If you can completely remove all food in the evening when the chooks have finished, then you will be doing yourself a big favour.  I take all feeders into our house every evening, and store all food sacks in a store room in our house too.

If you still have a problem, then consider Mk4 Fenn Traps used with a suitable safety box - see domestic wildfowl trust website, and/or a non toxic rat killer, eg Eradibait.

Local council may provide free advice and baited traps, though I believe some councils charge for this service.  Also, ours, when we used them, went for poison bait, and I wasn't comfortable with that.

grumpydad

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 16:11 »
we have had rats about for years, there is a semi dry stream bed at the bottom of the garden, i  have baited under the shed for years, just to keep them in check. we have only had chucks for nearly a year, so dont let anyone tell you it is your fault for keeping chucks.

all i can suggest is use a bait staion that is covered up, try to change the type of bait you use, grain to blocks etc, so it is different and they dont get immune to it.

ascot supplies do have an electrical humane killer, but it is about £50.00, runs off batteries

question
rats and chickens

Started by Han on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 21:15
by ehs284
xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
Oh my god help -rats!!!

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 27, 2007, 14:04
by Foxy
xx
Rats...

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2012, 21:59
by grinling

Page created in 0.691 seconds with 28 queries.