rats and chickens

• 3 Replies

Han

rats and chickens
« on: July 13, 2010, 15:01 »
We have a problem with rats in our garden, especially in and around our compost and chicken run. We've done everything we can to remove the food for rats ie stopped putting kitchen waste in compost, taken away bird feeders, and are just putting down chicken food for short periods morning and afternoon. We've also found and taken away some nests of young rats from the compost. We're reluctant to use poison, but are trying a trap.
We'd now like to either 1) get a rat proof chicken feeder or 2) make the chicken run rat-proof. Can anyone advise whether the rat proof treadle feeders do work and are recommended?. Also if we go for the second option (which would be easier, especially when asking neighbours to feed them when we're on holiday) - the run is already surrounded by 6 foot high sides and roof of chicken wire, but the mesh isnt small enough to keep rats out. If we add an additional layer of fine mesh wire to stop rats, how high would it need to go? Or would the rats just climb up it and over the top if we didnt cover roof as well (this would get too expensive)? And should we dig it into the ground - or perhaps cover the ground in the run with it too?
Any ideas welcome -thanks

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Re: rats and chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 17:45 »
I didn't want to use poison either but after weeks of battling with some pretty damn clever rodents who got round/over/under/through every flippin' defence we came up with, we gave up and gassed the little blighters.  Problem solved.

Really, save yourself a load of frustration and just poison them.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 20:09 »
could you not get a professional in to get them

We use a jack russell....again...problem solved :)

Also, ferreters sometimes will come and get rid of them for free, for the chance to use their ferrets, although I think that is more for rabbits

No pen is compleatly rat proof, they can get in anywhere and can gnaw through steel. They will climb a fence and they burrow. I hate doing it as it is against my beliefs but the best thing to do is kill them, just try to do it quickly and humanely for me please....like by jack russell (Which is quick, despite what it looks like)

Hope this helped a wee bit :)

xx
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 21:15 »
Call Environmental Health. Their rodent control people will talk over alternatives with you and they know their stuff.

xx
Rats and Chickens

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 16:11
by grumpydad
xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
Rats!

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2021, 10:21
by nerdle
xx
RATS!

Started by 300AJC on The Hen House

53 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 18:21
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 36 queries.