Please tell me NO!

• 28 Replies

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
Re: Please tell me NO!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 16:21 »

dont forget, you will need to quarantine new ones. Have you got a quarantine coop?
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

treacleminer

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 16:59 »
Being very boring and practical, how much of your keeping chickens is to get eggs?  Are you prepared to cull when your hens stop laying for good? 
If you completely fill your capacity now you may not be able to add more later, so could end up with a flock of elderly hens eating their heads off and their only return being looking pretty and adding to the compost heap, unless you are prepared to cull.

SO if you don't want to cull your pets, you may be better to wait and get some new POL as your other girlies get older, so then you have some laying and some behaving as above!

On the other hand you could keep on extending the chicken house and run - you didn't want a garden anyway ::)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 17:55 »
We set ourselves a limit of 6 ... but then I sold some eggs and didn't have any myself, so now we have 8 ... but that really is the limit or I'd have to extent the coop/buy another ...

Have you thought about introductions? Is that enough to put you off getting more?!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Foxy

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 19:14 »
I know have a whole run full of doddery old hens managed by an ancient pekin cockerel who refuses each winter to kick the bucket and still can show the youngsters a thing or two about treading the ladies! ;) :D

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 19:36 »
Much as I thought the whole of this site is infected by that deadly bug 'chickens'!!!! :lol: Is there no hope - oh well it is great fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to those who have ducks - I definitely won't catch that bug  :nowink:, been there had them - never again, they really do wreck your garden, pond and lay anywhere!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 19:38 by chuckmum »

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 19:40 »
Well I cant tell you no as I cant tell myself no! but if and when you decide I know a fab place with some great looking hens  :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 19:44 »
Indeed you do, just as well you're  a big drive away or I'd be over run!

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 19:54 »
No No No!!! What you really need is some ducks to go with those chickens  ;)  :nowink:  :D

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 20:07 »
my poor husband has spent the entire weekend finishing off a WIR for the girls (he agreed 8 months ago to have just the 2) and we now have 8! but now the run is finished i mentioned that we could easily get another one or two...he didnt look impressed. the rare poultry auction is in a few week perhaps we could just go for a look ::)im sure i could persuade him with a good breakfast :D

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 21:21 »
Oh those poor unsuspecting males, they really don't stand a chance :D I mentioned my idea in passing.... little does he know......

dizzylizzie

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 21:42 »
ahhh, see im very lucky, my hubby loves the birds. In fact when he comes home from work, he goes out to see them before he's seen me properly :unsure: :D still at least he dosent mind new birds!

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 22:50 »
I dont know if I'm lucky or not  :wub: OH is WORSE than me. He came home with 2 blue orpie cockerels, and a trio of lavender pekins last time he went out unaccompanied  ::) At least I come home with HENS  :D

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 05:11 »
I'm afraid I can't advise you, I'm a hopeless case ::)
Totally addicted to hatching eggs ;) so I will be reaching my limit pretty soon (famous last words) :wacko:

I've got quite a few pensioners now, so I'm thinking of building a "grannie flat" for them, maybe sheltered accommodation, away from the cockerals :)

I can't cull, not even the cockerals that attack me, so mine will live a long and hopefully happy life.

I enjoy feeding them, and could stand watching them all day  :wacko:

Spider :)

scrappydoo

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 08:50 »
 :) Hi Chuckmum
                 Sorry but like everyone else you've got chookitis bad, I was healthy until last June, my OH agreed to four girls (I bought 6 [I blame GrannyAnnie :D]) then come August/September the cravings got worse the lying started :blush: my OH said I could have two more, GrannieAnni's fault again  ::) I went home with another three!
Then just last week I didn't even lie, I blatently went out and took four more off the poultry swap shop that were free to good home, :mad: so if you're like me there will be no hope or cure ;)

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 29 queries.