Adding bantams??

• 2 Replies

vichope74

Adding bantams??
« on: January 24, 2010, 18:56 »
Hi - if I was to add 2 young bantams to a group of four warrens would it be a disaster??
I have read on here that the usual protocol is to have a separate house and introduce them slowly but I do  not have extra house etc - I value all your opinions and if they would be bullied then I will just leave it.  I only just got my birds which was why I thought if I added them now it would not be such a problem but dont want to make a big mistake.  I ask because someone local is selling bantams.  Cheers.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Adding bantams??
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 22:45 »
hi vichope.  i think it is likely that the bantams will be picked on relentlessly by your existing girls.  If they are all free ranging in a large space you may just be able to get away with it if you watch them very carefully but the best way is to introduce them really slowly by keeping them seperate (including at night) until your girls are used to them (probably 2 weeks or so) but, i still think it would be risky because of size differences especially if they are a small breed of bantam - i  hope someone else will be along soon with more experience to advise you, personally i would steer away from it. best of luck whatever you decide to do :) lucylou

vichope74

Re: Adding bantams??
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:27 »
Yep - think I'll give it a miss for now as I dont have separate houses etc and dont want to upset status quo.  Thanks Lucy.

xx
Adding new chicken with others

Started by paulaben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 19, 2011, 03:32
by mohs.ayaz
xx
Adding to my flock

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 12:14
by Shazzer
xx
adding new chucks

Started by willyhorton on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 19:43
by Anndee
xx
Adding new chickens

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 15:35
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 36 queries.