Please tell me NO!

• 28 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
Please tell me NO!
« on: January 24, 2010, 00:51 »
I keep secretly toying with the idea of getting two more hens, please pursued me not to!
I have six girls (started out as four) who are all happy together, in a cube with a 3m run, two are laying. So why do I want more? Well, I guess the bug has bitten again, I fancy a couple different breeds and colour's, as well as a few more eggs.
This is dangerous because it sound like it becoming a 'collection' and I get rather carried away, if I got two more it wouldn't be long before I wanted another two and then another two, you get the idea! I would need to get another extension run for the cube and it would eat up more of the garden, which isn't huge. I haven't verbalized my thoughts yet to OH, but I'm close.
I don't need the worry of new introductions to the flock, but I am weak willed and need a stiff talking to! :( If we move in the near future to a place with a bigger garden then this is the time I know - but why am I always thinking about chickens, eating my breakfast, last thing at night - counting chickens to drop off to sleep... etc! I sure I've even started to cluck in my sleep, I have 'chickenitis' is there a cure?:D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 00:56 by chuckmum »

Feathers

Re: Please tell me NO!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 02:20 »
I would tell you NO if I could but I have chickenitus too.  I am looking for a cure :).  They are so addictive - people without them have no idea.  I have even started buying chicken accessories - have you seen the new "Chicken Collection" in marks and spencers?  I think I must talk about my girlies a few times a day and when my husband gets home from work his questions are "how are the kids" followed by "how are the girlies" we are like new parents.

How sad am I (dont answer that)

When you find a cure let me know :)

Knight Family

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:31 »
Yep we started with 5 now have 12 and moving is costing a fortune due to the chickens!! But I also ask the wife how the girlies are and thats for 140 miles away!!!!!
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:37 »
Get more!

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:37 »
i would say no

1- until u have more housing space
2- also a much larger run for them

you dont want to end up losing all your garden space to non stop chicken poo and mud in the winter , there is a way around it and thats try an get yourself an allotment if there are any local to you then that way u get the best of both worlds a larger area for the girls an fresh veg for yourself. although not all allotments allow poluty to be kept on them so you will need to check that out first .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:03 »
Sounds like you have chickenitis, and there is no cure, highly infectious too. I am afraid you will just to move house...simples!!! :D :D
Luckily you are just in phase 1, just wait until you get duckyitis...now that is really severe! :D Joyful is now in phase 3 -gooosywoosyitis..and enjoying every minute!!!

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:11 »
OMG i have 2 of the 3 symtoms, just Duckyitis to go.........
i would say, wait till you have more room, but thats easy for all of us to say, when we are all mad about chooks. i started with 6 ex barns, then got 18 ex batts, i'm up to the over 50 mark now!!! i love my girls and boys, and can't imagine life without them.
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 10:22 »
-gooosywoosyitis    who invented this word  :lol: :lol:

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 12:46 »
If ther is a cure please let me now. I have just persuaded my hubby to let me get 6 more in the spring. He now has to put an extension on the run along with a new coup that i have set my heart on. Where does it stop. Please help

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 13:37 »
i'm afraid i have the symptoms of all 3, and i think i may well be coming down with Turkeyitus too ;) ducksywucksyitus is by far the most contagious, in fact i would say that goatyitus and sheepyitus are the ones your least likely to get  :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 14:13 »
mmmm, we are going to be no help...i got 6 in august....i now have 13 chickens a cockerel and a turkey....and 2 more on order to be picked up next week :wub:

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 15:13 »
I've got 4 and thinking of another 2, so infectious!!!!!   Think about more run space defo x

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 15:41 »
My girls are free range for half the week, I certainly would by a longer run as what I have is fine for 6, supposedly 10 but I always like them to have more space. I am thinking about waiting until I have a broody and then hatching a couple of eggs out - I have a friend who will take any cockerels ::).

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 16:06 »

NO NO NO NO NO!

Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 16:15 »
Is that what you wanted to hear?     :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have chookyitis REALLY bad. I started with 4 ex batts, now have 14 pens of trios and quads, 5 incubators, and well over 50 chooks, incl 14 cockerels. Every single one has a name and is well loved.

Saturday is cleaning out day, and is less enjoyable in the rain etc, but my chookyitis syndrome includes actually enjoying cleaning poopy pens, chatting to them, rewarding every egg with corn, encouraging non-layers with corn, and helping to boost cockerels' confidence by telling them how handsome they are, while giving them corn. I spend all my spare time on this forum, or getting visitors to see them all. Occasionaly selling chix or chooks or hatching eggs takes a whole afternoon and several mugs of tea, just talking chook. :lol: :lol:

I think it is too late for me, but I would say NO to you for now. You have to nudge your OH into suggesting more, then he cant get cross with you when he is doing all the carpentry, and of course, the NEXT ones would be your choice. :D :D

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 36 queries.