First broody of the year!

• 0 Replies

Casey76

First broody of the year!
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:43 »
One of my ISA browns is full on broody at the moment, but I didn't catch it until today!

My girls have only just started laying again after having a 2 month break, and egg production is still off, so I can't tell who is laying and who is not.  Anyway I went into the woodstore for something and saw Sage sitting in the trug which has my spring bulbs  in it.  As soon as she saw me she huffed up and was most definitely not impressed when I picked her up.

I was amazed to see she was sitting on 7 eggs.  I removed the eggs and kicked her off her "nest" but she just wouldn't leave.  She was krring away sitting all huffed up and squatting as I got closer.  Once I got past her she jumped back up onto the bench and  went straight back onto the trug.  She sounded really distressed that the eggs were no longer there and was rooting around in the trug looking for them krring and rosey softly.

In the end I gave in and gave her two eggs back which she immediately rolled under her and sat on, looking very pleased with herself.

Tonight I'll remove them and replace them with pot eggs... but now I'm in a dilemma!

Should I set up a broody coop and allow her to sit "properly" (I have a cock bird, and before the "winter break" 95% of my eggs were fertile), or should I break her out of it?  I know ISAs are not exactly well known for their broodyness lol.

xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 29 queries.