HELP! new to chickens!

• 21 Replies

nicnac

HELP! new to chickens!
« on: January 21, 2010, 13:30 »
Hi to all, I'm new to this group and new to chickens!  I have 4 chickens arriving on Saturday and I need some advice with the floor of my chicken run please!  The house/run will be on bare mud but am concerned about the hygiene of this.  Is there anything I can put down on the mud?  Could any of you knowledgable people help me please?  What can I use or not use?

Thank you in advance!

Nicnac
a partner, 1 daughter, 1 dog(Harry, but is a girl!), 1 hamster(pilchard), 2 bunnies(Ben & Jerry), 3 fish(Nemo,Beauty & Beast) & 3 chickens(Captain Jack, even though she's a girl!, Buffy & Annabell)

Sassy

Re: HELP! new to chickens!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 14:28 »
A lot of people on this site use wood chips - this can be raked up and replaced as necessary and will rot down into compost. I'm sure someone else will be a long shortly
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 14:56 »
I started off using soft wood chips from B*Q, but things still got v muddy when it rained.  So we added an opaque roof to the run, and it so much better.  Dry bare earth is fine, the girls love to dig and make dust baths, and its easy to poo pick so the run never getts disgusting.
Occasionally if it gets compacted, I just turn it over rougly with a garden fork.  Leave it in big clods, and the girls will sort it out.  They love it when I pick up the fork cos they know its worm time :tongue2:

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 19:04 »
If you can get hold of some Stalosan F or Bio-Dry it will help .. it's a powder disinfectant, sprinkle around liberally once a week. If they're on woodchip, rake it over, sprinkle on and rake again ...
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:05 »
What is Bio-Dry? 

I keep getting carpet cleaner when I search for it.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:54 »
Bio Dry is a disinfectant similar to Stalosan, I had the same problem with google. It is a dry powder that you can sprinkle in your run/coop to absorb excess moisture and keep things fresh and hygenic. If you want more detail try SPR centre shop, that gives a write up on it.

scrappydoo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 08:02 »
Bio Dry is a disinfectant similar to Stalosan, I had the same problem with google. It is a dry powder that you can sprinkle in your run/coop to absorb excess moisture and keep things fresh and hygenic. If you want more detail try SPR centre shop, that gives a write up on it.
Hi all,
absorb ecess moisture? hmmm, me thinks it's gonna need a mop n bucket in the packet today :D

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:07 »
 :D :D :D :D :D Are we having a funny morning Steve?

scrappydoo

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 09:17 »
:D :D :D :D :D Are we having a funny morning Steve?
Unfortunately it's normal for me, but as long as I keep taking the tablets I'm ok he he he he he he he  :wacko: :D ::)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 09:22 by scrappydoo »

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:19 »
My girls are on wood chip in a covered run. I do rake it over every couple of weeks, but I find a couple of handfulls of corn thrown in once in a while and the :D chickens do it themselves and it keeps them busy!

fastmonkey85

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 19:14 »
Hi

I am new to keeping chickens too. I have had mine for about 4 months and I use straw in their run. It has a roof. Too. When the straw gets discoloured I add another layer to freshen it up. This in-turn cases it to become a deep litter run. Then when it gets to a height to muck out I take it to the allotment to rot down for the next year.

I find it the easiest way and the cheapest mostly due to the fact that I can gwet as much straw as I want from the farm at work

Hope it helps

Alex

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 13:14 »
My run is fully covered but still gets wet from rain soaking up through the floor when it rains heavy, which it has!!  I always use wood chip on the run floor, poo pick everyday to keep it clean and use Stalosan when it's getting smelly.

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 13:17 »
I have the same prob as you Smiler and bought some large wood chips but these soon got wet through. Thinking of trying some Easibed or some such. Failing that, back to straw which at least is cheap

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 13:54 »
If you can get hold of a tree surgeon, their chippings are much smaller than the commercial stuff ... it rots down faster and you can get a huge load for little outlay, so can keep it quite deep. My run isn't covered, and we've struggled a bit with the mud outside the run, but inside, with the woodchip is fine  :)

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 18:19 »
That sounds a great idea Beulah59, do they charge for it?

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Wet Chickens

Started by lorraine46 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 18:09
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 28 queries.