Strawberries this year?

• 11 Replies

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
Strawberries this year?
« on: January 18, 2010, 08:55 »

Have lots of old strawb plants - they didn't do much last year, and so I'm considering buying some new plants from DT Brown, Marshalls etc.

Quick question - some of these suppliers say "delivery by end Feb" which made me wonder - will these plants actually provide any fruit the same year? e.g. if I buy them this year, am I without strawberries until next year (2011)?
Seems a short time to get going...March until June/July..?

If so, I may as well try with the ones I've already got...in which case, when should one buy/establish new plants?

Thanks from any experienced Strawb growers...and any hints on best way to grow, too, I will have a new bed for them (which hasn't had spuds in it previously!).

Phill  :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: Strawberries this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:02 »
Did any of your old plants put out runners last summer? If so I think they may fruit this year.
I grew all my strawberries from seed and it was certainly the cheapest way to do it. I sowed the seed in January/February and although I didn't get much/any fruit the first year they were up and running by the following year. I also bought a 6-pack of cheap ones from Wilkos just so I would have a little fruit in the first year.
Rachael

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:07 »

Thanks for the quick reply - yes, did have some runners, but the Strawb bed is a bit overgrown now, so need to get in there and see whats useable...but was wanting to supplement some new plants also to increase amount of fruit, and wondered if new plants fruit straight away?

Phill  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:09 »
New plants will fruit, but not in abundance.

The purists will tell you though that you shouldn't let them, so the plant puts it's energy into growing.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:43 »
After a few years most strawberry plants get virus. If your plants did not do much they may well have virus so it is probably best not to grow your runners as they will carry virus from the mother plant.

The plants you buy will be virus free.

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 11:15 »
The best strawberries on my plot last year were the ones I found in an neglected area at the bottom of my allotment that I hadn't yet got round to cultivating.  They were in amongst an overgrown raspberry bed which was congested with weeds of every variety.  The strawberries were huge and delicious and undamaged (I don't think the birds could see them).  I've transplanted them now into a new tidy bed.  It will be interesting to see how they fare.  Makes you think though :unsure:

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 11:19 »
In order to minimize disease and maximize the size of crops strawberry plants should be kept for 3 years before disposing of them. On the 3rd year if the plants are disease free new plants can be grown from the runners by pegging them down in potted compost. If possible they should be planted out in new ground again to minimize disease. As DD says the purist say that fruit shouldn’t be left on to grow in the first year but if you can grow the runners on early enough you can get a decent crop without doing much harm.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 13:34 »

Thanks all for the replies, I shall assess what I have, and if they look OK, go with them, possibly adding some new.
If dodgy, I'll bin and start again, they must be at least three years old, i reckon!!

Cheers all

Phill  :) :)

lisa80

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 14:05 »
my strawbs are the same ,i added some new last year and its all become overgrown so this season will clear out the old ones and get some new to fill the gaps.if none of them look too good will start again  :)me and the kids love them hubby never gets a look in as they very rarely make it back from the allotment :blush:

goodegg

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 15:19 »
if your strawbs are still good you can dig them up and split them they only need one growing tip/bud by doing this you will multiply the ammount of plants and rejuvenate them to get a great crop thats what i do with mine every couple of years its just like growing new plants and while they are out of the soil you can check them to see if they are good.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 21:50 »
I bought 12 irresistible plants last autumn and they are looking good but haven't had any crop yet.  If they live up to the hype written about them they will be wonderful! Why not give some a try?
John

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 21:52 »
Mine are as good as it says on the tin.

Well, the catalogue anyway.

xx
NO Strawberries this year. Anybody no why ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 11:28
by garddwr
xx
strawberries for this year?

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 19:48
by Missy1970
xx
How do your strawberries taste this year?

Started by ryetek on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 19:24
by Annen
xx
Planting Strawberries Next Year

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 19:10
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 36 queries.