Can I plant my Blueberries

• 3 Replies

kel28

Can I plant my Blueberries
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:36 »
I bought some blueberry cuttings and they are about a foot tall now, they have been kept outside, I was just wondering is it ok to plant them on my allotment now, or should I be waiting a bit longer?
kem

SG6

Re: Can I plant my Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 13:51 »
Assuming that the cutting have rooted I cannot think why not. They are hardy.
Only question is has your allotment an acid soil?
Everytime I read of allotments people seem to be growing brassicas of one form or another and so adding lime. Blueberries will not grow in an alkaline soil, I think they sort of get by in a neutral soil but that is all.

rockyracoon

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 15:13 »
Kel28, I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread but I have a question about my blueberry bush.  Does any one know what the best time to repot it would be.  It has lived in normal compost for the last 18 months as I didn't realise it should be in ericaceous soil, so I want to put it in that and hopefully get a better crop of berries this summer.
Thanks RR

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 19:07 »
Blueberries are deciduous shrubs so are dormant now; I would suggest that any convenient time between now and when they start to regrow in spring is fine. SG6 is correct, they must have acid soil or compost to flourish, so kel28 should certainly be repotting his/her plant this year in ericaceous compost, and also making sure that any added fertilizer is suitable for ericaceous plants (also use rainwater rather than tapwater for the same reason.)

It is also recommended that you grow more than 1 variety of blueberry together to improve pollination and therefore fruit-set; I have 3 different varieties which fruit well (keeping birds away from the berries is another matter!)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Best way to plant blueberries????

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 19:32
by gowing238
xx
It's below zero outside, can I plant blueberries?

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 14:50
by Goosegirl
xx
Blueberries - OK to plant when full of berries?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 17:42
by joshbuchan
xx
Blueberries

Started by maralthemoral on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 01:40
by Trillium

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 28 queries.