Hydrogen Peroxide

• 28 Replies

gillie

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 09:48 »
I take it that we are talking about the bagged supermarket carrots which have been washed.  Indeed they do not last long.

Carrots (and indeed potatoes) keep much better if they are not washed at all but sold 'dirty' so I would only buy these as a last resort.

Cheers,

Gillie

Cazzy

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 10:06 »
yeah Gillie, unfortunately they are the 39p bags of 'get what you pay for'.  Unfortunately everything is last resort purchases since we lost our jobs.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

SG6

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 11:05 »
I would not go and ask for hydrogen peroxide anywhere. Very good chance of being arrested. Being a good oxidising agent it is of great use in explosives. They type that people make at home and then use in the underground and assorted places.

Strongly suspect that any incident of anyone asking for H2O2 should/is reported to the police.

Cazzy

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 11:27 »
I would not go and ask for hydrogen peroxide anywhere. Very good chance of being arrested. Being a good oxidising agent it is of great use in explosives. They type that people make at home and then use in the underground and assorted places.

Strongly suspect that any incident of anyone asking for H2O2 should/is reported to the police.

You buy it in Boots the chemist, granted its behind the counter with the medicines but I don't imagine they sold it to me then reported me to the police.

Cazzy

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 11:28 »
Found this interesting site...

http://www.h2o2-4u.com/house.html

SG6

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 13:58 »
Find that strange as Boots will not sell IPA to use to clean bits with. All you could do with that is drink it yourself, H2O2 can be turned in things that go bang in a big way.

zazen999

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 14:13 »

I get mine from Boots; and use it all the time. Never been reported yet. Never been asked why I want it either.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 14:59 »
Isn't this the same chemical used for creating home-made explosive devices?
(As well as creating 'blonde' hair!)

I think I read / heard of some bomb maker being filmed on CCTV buying a couple of bottles at his local store. Take care your carrots aren't raided by the bomb squad!!!  :lol:

Fresh, cool flowing air and dry conditions should help keep the carrots fresh...
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

penance

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 15:26 »
No issues purchasing Hydrogen Peroxide and unless you suffer from paranoia or actually do intend to make a bomb with carrots i really dont see any issue.

There are quite a few house hold products that can be used in such a manner but all are perfectly legal to purchase.

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 15:36 »
No issues purchasing Hydrogen Peroxide and unless you suffer from paranoia or actually do intend to make a bomb with carrots i really dont see any issue.

There are quite a few house hold products that can be used in such a manner but all are perfectly legal to purchase.

This is quite true.... my remark was light hearted..  ;)

penance

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 15:38 »
I realised that Learner, mine was just a general comment to say not to be paranoid about every day substances :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 15:41 »
I realised that Learner, mine was just a general comment to say not to be paranoid about every day substances :)

Makes sense - there are so many that seem just a bit dodgy.... dangerous even, if used in the wrong place or the wrong way...

'Always read the label' I say..... searchng for my specs!   :blink:

solway cropper

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 21:16 »
Hydrogen peroxide is used in water purification among other things but they use strong concentrations. In some circumstances it can accelerate bacterial growth by increasing the amount of oxygen available. Its one advantage is that it breaks down into water and oxygen so no nasty by-products. Others have pointed out that the air around us is alive with bacteria and spores so unless you keep the carrots in a sterile environment I can't see much point in doing it. You should also keep in mind that fruit and veg will eventually rot without external factors due to the enzymes within them breaking down.

Cazzy

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 22:05 »
Thanks for the replies everyone... I enjoyed reading all the different views.

I have my experiment in the drawer and for those who are interested i'll post the results in a few days

Page created in 0.576 seconds with 37 queries.