Best way to plant blueberries????

• 8 Replies

gowing238

• Experienced Member
Best way to plant blueberries????
« on: November 10, 2010, 14:35 »
Hi. Have just ad a set of 5 bluberries delivered from j parkers. Was wondering what the best way to plant them out would be?

I am aware that they like an acid soil, so would oeat or that eracious soil be best to use?

Also do they do best in pots or in the ground? If i was to plant in the ground would i cover with peat, thus creating an acid environment??

Have confused myself now!!!! :wacko:
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Best way to plant blueberries????
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 14:54 »
Plenty of people grow them in containers, especially if their soil is not suitable for blueberries. There are disadvantages though, mainly the fact they don't like being short of water (rainwater, of course!)

I grow mine in the garden; the soil is pretty neutral but I filled the planting hole with ericaceous compost and four years on they seem pretty happy with that.
(I doubt whether you would get away with that if your soil is chalky though.)

Mulching or incorporating peat will help to keep the pH low, but don't grow them in peat by itself.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 15:04 »
I have two plants in pots of ericaceous compost and they did extreemly well this year, in spite of being given a pruning by the pup. We were not short of water though, that might have helped.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 15:47 »
Thanks both. What size pots do you use tosca?  Would adding manure each year keep the soil acidic jay G?

I read somewhere that when you plant them out to add lots of chicken pellets for the nitrogen. Would they only need to be fed with this or would manure be suffice?

cheers!!

savbo

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 16:12 »
we have our parkers blueberries in  50cm plastic tubs of ericaceous compost (only time I'm forced to buy peat  :( ) and they're storming away

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 16:27 »
We have had blueberries growing in large containers in ericacious compost for several years now, they have grown & fruited well every year with a light pruning of dead wood & straggly branches each year, they are watered with only rainwater from the water butt & kept moist they are also kept in a position where they get the maximum sunlight.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 18:18 »
Thanks both. What size pots do you use tosca?  Would adding manure each year keep the soil acidic jay G?

I believe peat is a better acidic mulch than manure.

I read somewhere that when you plant them out to add lots of chicken pellets for the nitrogen. Would they only need to be fed with this or would manure be suffice?

Dried chicken manure is usually quoted as being a bit alkaline, growmore is reckoned to be neutral so is a better bet. Handful of growmore in spring, peat mulch on top and Bob's yer blueberries!  :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 19:10 »

cheers!!
I didn't feed anything when I planted them. They are in 14" clay pots with a bin liner to stop them drying out too much. Used growmore in spring.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 19:32 »
Cheers everyone!! Think ill try them in pots then!! located near to the water butts!!!! lol!!

xx
Can I plant my Blueberries

Started by kel28 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 19:07
by JayG
xx
It's below zero outside, can I plant blueberries?

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 14:50
by Goosegirl
xx
Blueberries - OK to plant when full of berries?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 17:42
by joshbuchan
xx
Blueberries?

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 18:52
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 37 queries.